Oneshot #1

The Hearth By The Sea

    Feelings are never supposed to last long. At least, not long for gods. After all, they had human minds, as much as they liked to pretend. They would naturally get tired of things after a few hundred years of doing them. Poseidon knew he did. Even with his wife, Amphrite, things were on and off. Humans had even gotten semi-boring. Really, he'd grown to only be interested in the ever changing animals in his realm. But he was wise enough to know that would even get old.

    But if nothing kept their attention forever, then... Why was Hestia still taking such a big part of his mind? He had fallen centuries ago, gotten rejected centuries ago. And yet, she was always there on his mind.

    She was the one thing he could always keep an interest. And she apparently thought the same; centuries spent by the him, taking to him, as the sea, with him licking her bare heels. Coming as far up as he can, trying to touch something he could only extinguish, relentless agony at rejected love exchanged for friendship.

    And yet, he was fine. Smiling widely in human form as they sat on the beach, building a sand caste, secretly designing like the castle he would build for her, only if she would let him. Because, despite having the mind of a human, Poseidon was not the majority. He was not his brother. He was not the human boys. Those who would whine about being rejected by someone they were close to; Meanwhilst doing the exact same thing to others close to them.

    He was not them, and he instead, would grin and bear, and would settle for the role of best friend. The role of close companion. And he supposed or was for best. He could only extinguish her light. A hearth by the sea will surely be put out by the water if not watched.

    But, like his element, the water, he would forever be trying to get close, never fully aware that of he got close it would kill her. He would always be pushing his way up the beach, would always be washing over the land when he got mad to search for her. To find comfort, never aware that by causing tsunamis to travel to her, he only risked drowning her.

    Well, that explained his feelings, he guessed. Perhaps controlled by the sea. It didn't quite matter, because here she came, in the lovely form of a human girl. And it was time to pretend he was a human boy who had just been surfing, and was now coming to greet his sister.

    So, the end.