Oneshot #2 (Hephaetus x Dionysus)

If I Could Learn To Be Sober

    In order to be sober, one needs to know why they're drunk. Luckily, it's an easy question to answer, for me. It's what a lot of my disciples use it for. It's what gods will use it for.

    To forget. To drown out nightmares of the past. Of parents being driven mad, of gender confusion, of best friends being strangled by your own element, of kings... Of wicked kings, killing those who raised you to prove their power. I have a lot to forget. If you somehow didn't realize. And with my family, there's not much I want to remember. Moments with Ariadne were precious and I was sobered for them, but she was mortal, and, well... Mortals die. I had to learn that the hard way.

    I drink and stay drunk so I don't remember anything, the dry taste stinging my throat. But there are moments I want to remember. As I wake up beside him, wondering what happened last night. And... Well. All I can hope for is that I'll be sober if we find ourselves in that situation. Hopefully, the situation of sex hasn't already come? I hope not. I want to remember something amazing like that.

    I can't be sober all the time. Which is bad for me. Because I want to remember him. I want to remember every moment with Hephaetus. But Hephaetus is always by me. And... I love that. But yet I hate it. Because most of it I can't remember. Because if I try to be sober for a day, the memories will come back, and I'll collapse. Because I'm just weak.

    If I could just be sober, if I could learn to be sober, for more than a few hours. If I could remember an entire day with my Hephaetus by my side... I would be forever grateful. Maybe one day. I hope so. But for now, small steps, as I get closer to being sober five hours.

    And as I wake up, and I see Hephaetus sleeping by me...well, I know that its totally worth it.