Chapter 3

The door opened it was Dr. George along with a nurse.
Dr. George checked him. There was a smile on his face. While all the time Manik was looking blankly towards the ceiling and Nandini was observing him. After instructing to the nurse he finally spoke.
Dr: This is a very good improvement Dr Nandini. Let's see what the test reports say. I think he will be fine soon. Happiness was clearly seen on Nandini's face she thanked her Aaiyappa.
She just smiled in response.
Dr: Dr Nandini come to my cabin I want to talk to you.
Nan: Yes Dr.
Dr. George left the room.
Nandini again looked at Manik who was still in the same position.
Nan: Tum yahi soch rahe honge na ke tum kaha ho? yaha Kaise aaye?
Manik looked at her with no expressions.
Nandini continued.
Nan: Tum chinta mat karo.. Dhere dhere you will get to know everything. Don't stress yourself. Take rest. I will be back in 5 mins. With this she adjusted the blanket over him and left the room.
Nandini reached Dr George's cabin and went inside.
Dr: Dr. Nandini please have a seat.
She sat on the chair in front of him.
Dr: I wanted to talk about Mr. Malhotra. I am happy that he is out coma but he is not still out of danger. His head injury was a little severe. We will do some test just to clear my doubts.
Nan: What doubts Dr?
Dr George took a pause and said
Dr: I think he is under a shock. I will talk about this case to my friend Dr. Steve, he is a psychiatrist. Maybe he can help us.
Nan: Okay. I will take care of him you don't worry. I will personally check everything.
Dr George smiled.
Dr: I know you will do that. I will inform you as soon as I will get a reply from Dr. Steve.
Nandini nodded.
Dr: Okay now get back to your work.
Nandini smiled and left the cabin.
He came in Manik's room and saw him in same position.
The nurse came and informed her that officer Jack wants to see Manik. She allowed him and officer came inside.
J: Dr I want to ask some questions to Manik may I?
Nan: Yes, but please be carefully he is still not well.
J: Yes Dr.
Officer Jack reached near Manik.
J: How are you feeling Mr. Malhotra?
In return he got no response. So he continued.
J: I hope you know one week ago you met an accident and that is why you are here. I wanted to know that do remember anything about how the accident happened?
Manik just moved his gaze to officer Jack but didn't react.
J: Say something Mr. Malhotra.. We even tried to reach your family but couldn't find anything.
After listening this Manik held his head tightly and closed his eyes.
He started breathing heavily.
By seeing this Nandini requested officer Jack to move out, he did so.
Nandini tried to hold his hand but he was not ready to leave it.
His head was spinning very badly.
Nandini gave him an injection to calm him. And it showed its effect, within few minutes Manik calmed and slept due to the dosage.
Nandini patted his head to sooth him. She informed Dr. George about this, checked Manik once again and left for home hoping for the best.
Next morning she came early and straight away went to see Manik. Surprisingly he was up staring at the window.
Nan: Good Morning Mr. Malhotra. Itne jaldi uth gaye?
Manik just moved his eyes in her direction.
Nan: Ha mai bhi aaj jaldi aagyi.. Tumse milne. She smiled at him and checked him. His condition was better than yesterday. A nurse and ward boy came to change Manik's dressings. Nandini got a phone call and came out of the room to receive it.
Nan: Good morning Dr. George.
Dr: Good morning. I just called you up to inform you that I spoke to Dr. Steve. He saw Manik's reports. He said he will be visiting here next week.
Nan: That's a great news sir.
Dr: Yes. Even I saw the reports he is recovering. Just he is not responding which can become a trouble. He may take time for that. Anyways, I will be visiting him in the evening.
Nan: Okay Dr.
She cut the call and came back in room.
After dressing was complete nurse and ward boy left. Nandini kept on talking to him, asking him but he didn't even react. After sometime she resumed her work.

3 days passed like this. Everyday Nandini used to meet him, talk to him. Manik was just responding in gestures such as nodding, blinking his eyes. There was no further improvement.

Next day there was an audit in the hospital. Early morning Nandini came to hospital. As per routine she went to see Manik. He was sleeping peacefully. She decided not to disturb him and headed towards her cabin.

At around 8.00 Manik woke up, he was expecting Nandini to be there. But he saw her nowhere. He thought maybe she will come later.
It was afternoon now but no glimpse of Nandini. Manik was continuously looking at the door.
Here on the other side Nandini was extremely busy in her work that she couldn't get time to meet him.
The day came to an end. Manik waited for her for the whole time due the effect of medicines he drifted into sleep.
Finally, Nandini finished her work. She looked at the clock, it showed 10:30 PM. She realised that she didn't get time to meet Manik. She finished her work, took her belongings and rushed to his room. But all she found, Manik was sleeping. Nandini pouted and sat beside his bed and said "I am sorry, I couldn't come today.. was stuck up in work."
She stood up, leaned towards his face and peaked his forehead and turned to leave. 
Suddenly she felt a grip on her hand. And very next she heard.

"Nandini".

Nandini looked back with a jerk and the scene in front of her made her smile. Manik was holding her hand with a smile on his face.
She carefully removed her hand from his grip whispered "Good night" and went home. But as if time was moving very slow. After reaching home she had dinner, lied on her bed, but sleep was miles away from her. She was feeling sorry that she couldn't meet Manik today. After a long thinking session she slept waiting for next morning.

A new day started Nandini completed her morning chores and left for hospital. Within less time than usual she reached there. Excitement to meet him was clearly seen on her face.

Here Manik was up and looking outside the window. He heard sound of door. There she appeared with a sparkling smile. Manik pretended as he is sleeping. Nandini noticed this from the corner of her eyes, kept her bag aside and came near Manik and said in audible voice.

Nan: Aaiyappa ye toh so raha hai! Muze aaj bhi time nhi milega wapas aaneka. Kya karu? Uthau use? Nhi rehendo kal milungi.

After listening this he opened his eyes and looked for her.

He saw she was hiding her smile. Manik immediately frowned and moved his gaze away from her.

Nan: Kya hua naraj ho? Baat nhi karoge? Manik mai jab kal aayi tab tum so rahe the isiliye uthaya nahi. Sorry maaf kardo.
She held her ears like a kid. How can he avoid her, he smiled on her sweet act. For the first time after his accident he smiled.
In return Nandini smiled widely and wished him with her sweet voice.

Nan: Good Moring.

For the first time after so many days Manik spoke.

Man: G..Go...Good.. M...Morning.

Nandini was really happy by his response.

While checking him she kept on blabbering and Manik was being a silent listener. After spending a good time with him she was about to leave. Sadness was clearly visible in his eyes. He called her softly.

Man: Nandini..

Nan: Kya hua Manik?

Man: Kya tum sham ko sach me nhi aaogi?

Nan: Aaungi buddhu!

Manik pouted and Nandini moved laughing.

She happily went to Dr. George's cabin to tell him about Manik's improvement.

Even Dr George became happy for Manik.