Chapter Ten

***SHANE POV***

The first thing I notice when I come too is that it hurt to breath. I try to take a breath and wince as pain shoots up from my left side into my chest. Fuck! what was that about? I move my head to the left and wince again as more pain hits me there. I still and without opening my eyes I try to asses where I was. I knew I was laying down, I could feel it, and I smelled the distinct smell that you can only find in one place. Why was I in the hospital? DENNY'S! suddenly everything floods into my mind. Allen And I had left Denny's and a group of Homophobic thugs had hassled us and tried to hurt Allen. I had stepped in and the ring leader and I got into a fight. He had kicked my ass and Allen had gone to get help. The last thing I remembered was resting my head in his lap as pain pulsed through my body. ALLEN! Where was Allen? was he ok? I move my head again and groan as the pain rattles around my head and into my hurt left side. I hear movement on my right and then a hand slips into mine.

"Shane?" comes a very quiet voice that I already knew by heart. I groan again as I slowly move my head to the right this time and crack open my eyes. Light spills into my field of vision making me want to shut my eyes again but I keep them open, trying to focus on the blurry figure in my sights. Finally the figure clears up and Allen's worried face comes into focus. I give him a small smile and instant relief floods his handsome face. "You're awake! How are you feeling?" He asks quietly and I nearly laugh at the hope radiating there. I try to shrug but wince again. I open my mouth to talk but realize my throat is dry and scratchy. Looking around the room I spot a pitcher of water on the bedside table and point to it with our joined hands. He quickly lets go of my hand and pours me a small glass holding it up to my lips as I try to take a drink. The cold water hits my throat and I swear it was like drinking liquid gold cooling down my scratchy throat. I finish the glass and hand it back to him before trying to speak.

"Hey." Was all I could manage to get out before I went into a coughing fit. My chest starts to burn as the coughs take over, tears streaming down my face as the coughing pulls at my left side and my head starts to pound, the pressure nearly blinding.

"SHANE! Shit! I'm getting the doctor!" He says as panic creeps into his voice. he goes to leave but I shoot my hand out and grip his shirt sleeve, not wanting him to leave me. He looks at me with panic swimming in his grey eyes and I try to plead with him for him not to leave. Understanding floods his face and he slips his hand in my, bringing it to his lips and kissing it. "I wont leave you. I'm right here." He whispers. I nod and Finally after five minutes the coughing recedes and the burning in my chest dissipates. I sag back onto the bed and take a huge breath of air, not caring how much it hurts me.

"How long have I been here?" I manage to scratch out. Allen shrugs and looks at the clock on the wall.

"About four hours now, don't worry I told all our professors why we wont be in today." He says. Four hours?

"What's wrong with me?" I ask. His face pales.

"You have three broken ribs on your left side and a massive concussion. When they brought you in here you were delirious and couldn't remember your name or anything. They are keeping you over night and they've been waking you up ever half hour. Actually," He checks the clock again, "They should be coming in any minute to check on you again." He says. I blink at him in surprise. I don't remember them waking me up every thirty minutes. They must be doing the normal what's your name what year is it routine. And just like that, as if talking about it brought them too us A pretty little nurse comes in, a smile on her heart shaped face.

"Well this is a first, you haven't been awake when I come in. That's a good sign. "She says her voice whimsical, hell her whole appearance reminded me of a fairy, she was adorable! I give her a small smile.