Chapter 7: Bonded

(Aelin POV)

Aelin looked around her, grinning as the noise of laughter filled her ears. Her cheeks hurt she was smiling so much. Rowan and Aedion were here. Everything was back to normal, well mostly. She looked at Rowan who was sitting beside her. She was excited to see him again, but something was different between them. He was her carranam, her best friend, and she loved him, but not in the same way she had just a few months ago. Rowan was in the middle of telling her about their trip to the Western Wastes, apparently it hadn't been entirely easy to get Ansel to agree to make the trek to Rifthold. Aelin hadn't expected anything less. Rowan added with a smile that after a few hours alone with her, he had been able to persuade her to come. Aelin laughed she could only imagine what sort of terrors he put her through. She deserved it.

A tug from her magic pulled her attention away from Rowan towards Dorian who was sitting across from her. He was talking and laughing with Aedion and Lysandra. Aedion was explaining in great detail what a pain the Queen of Briacliff was, and Dorian had smirked adding that it reminded him of a certain assassin. She smiled it was so nice to hear him laugh again. Suddenly aware that Rowan had stopped talking, she turned to face him. He was staring at her a question all too visible in his eyes. What? He continued to stare at her, waiting for her to answer his silent question. She touched the brim of her nose and sighed.

"He has come a long way, when I first got here Rowan..." her voice trailed off and she trembled at the memory. "But now he is healing little by little. I've been helping him learn to control his magic, and it seems to steady him."

Rowan nodded his face full of understanding as he observed the King of Adarlan. He reached out taking her hands in his and squeezed them. I know how much he means to you. Her heart stopped. Shock was plastered all over her face. Dorian was her friend, nothing more she lied to herself. She tried to jerk her hand away, but his grip tightened. Aelin, listen to your magic. What did he mean by that? Rowan's face softened at her reaction. He stared at her with an expression that she didn't understand. Sympathy?

He released her hand and cleared his throat. "Dorian" Oh gods what was he doing! "I hear that Aelin is attempting to train you." Attempting?! Oh she was furious she wanted to set him on fire! As if he could sense it in her she felt a gust of wind calming her flame, it worked but she continued to glare at him. "If you like, I could train you correctly."

Dorian glanced back and forth between her and Rowan. She rolled her eyes. "Of course Rowan, I'd be honored." Dorian stole a cautious glance in her direction, offering her a slight smile. Turning she glared at Rowan. "I think it's a great idea, and I'll enjoy watching the look on your face when Dorian knocks you on your ass tomorrow." Rowan just smirked at her I look forward to it Fireheart.

(Dorian's POV)

Dorian had finally been able to escape away from Aedion, thanks to Lysandra's help. He had grown tired of strategizing future battle plans. For months now Dorian had been working on striking alliances with the other countries of Erilea, in hopes that they would fight with them to defend their continent. The world. Aedion being a general loved discussing different possible scenarios in which the armies of Erilea would stand together and fight. The topic however pressed heavily on Dorian's mind. It was a future that he knew he was destined for, but wanted to avoid for as long as possible. Soon all the armies of Erilea would be gathered outside Rifthold and the greatest war in history would start.

Sighing, he stretched out on the sofa and began to read. It was hard to concentrate though, he had reread the same sentence at least a dozen times. Everyone was talking at the same time and laughing. About an hour ago Aedion had brought out a couple bottles of wine to celebrate their reunion.Rowan he noticed was still on his first glass and he himself had refused stating that it was hard to read while inebriated. Aelin had just rolled her eyes. Those beautiful Ashryver eyes.