Chapter 12: Gavin

Dorian bolted upright, his body covered in sweat as he gasped for air. Aelin. Looking down to his right he saw her curled up beside him sleeping. There was no blood, she was okay. Dorian sighed as he reached over to stroke the side of her face. A smile formed on her lips at his touch as she leaned her head into his hand. Every time he closed his eyes he saw her covered in blood in the reflection of those golden eyes. He shivered. It was just a dream. Just a dream, but it didn't feel like a dream. A noise from across the room startled him. Dorian stared out into the darkness. He didn't see anything at first, but a strange light grew closer to the bed. No not a light, a man. Forming a dagger of ice in his hand Dorian made to strike just as the man spoke, "I must be quick, I don't have a lot of time." Dorian rubbed his eyes, standing in front of him was Gavin. "In the Library, you know where I mean. There is a symbol of a stag, remove the panel, behind it you will find the answers that you seek." He looked down at Aelin as he said "Treasure her" Then he was gone.

He sat there blinking, holding his dagger of ice. Answers to what? Beside him Aelin stretched, her eyes flying open wide as she glimpsed him holding a dagger of ice. "Dorian! What's wrong?" She looked around the room before turning her attention to him reaching out to grab his arm, her warm touch dissolving his weapon. Dorian met her eyes, and lied. "I thought I heard something, it was nothing." She studied him for a second before her eyes softened as she smiled leaning back her body engulfed in the sheets. "Come here," she patted the bed signaling for him to lay down beside her. Dorian pulled her close to him holding her tight. He hated lying to her, but she didn't need to worry. She had so much to think about, so many thoughts that plagued her mind. No, he would not bother with something so trivial. Dorian stared into the darkness afraid of once again seeing the reflection in the golden eyes. He would visit the library catacombs tomorrow.