Returning Home

The hand was light on Athena's shoulder. A woman stepped in front of her. This woman wasn't like any of the women in her village. This woman was dressed similar as the four strangers. The woman's eyes sparkled in the flickering candle light of the tavern. "Do you wish to follow Cadeyrn?" The woman asked. Athena nodded her head. "Then come child. We must hurry before the tavern patrons notice us."

The woman turned towards the doors and headed off. Athena took one last glance at the tavern she had known all her life. "Quickly child." The woman said as she stood in front of the swinging doors. Once again Athena nodded and she quickly followed the woman. Outside Athena took in a deep breath. The air tasted of salt. Scanning the area Athena saw the woman heading to the water. Quickly scampering after her it didn't take long for her to catch the woman. "Thank you Agatha." Athena heard a man say. The voice though she knew well enough it was the leader of the strangers.

"Do you wish to come with us?" The leader asked Athena. He was suddenly standing right in front of her. She blinked several times and took a couple steps back to look up at the man.

Sadly though as much as Athena wanted to go with the strangers she couldn't. Her mother, though always controlling, needed her. Cadeyrn watched the emotions flicker across the girls face. He allowed himself to enter her thoughts. He hated the intrusion however he needed to know. He needed to know if she wanted to come. As he listened to her conflicting thoughts he saw her square her shoulders and smile at him. "Yes I want to come." She finally said. It had only taken her a couple minutes to decide her fate.

Smiling brightly back at her Cadeyrn held out his hand. "Take my hand and follow us. Do no fear what you will see." Placing her tiny hand in his larger one she nodded her head. Cadeyrn led her to a ship not like any she had seen before. "Have you ever been on a ship?" Cadeyrn asked her. "No I haven't. My mother has always kept me away from them. She told me ships disappear in waters like these." Cadeyrn raised an eyebrow. "In waters like these?" He asked the girl. "Yes. She said 'when you are entering white water, nothing seems right. You won't know where you are, the water will once again appear green. Then turn a brilliant white.'"

Cadeyrn looked more closely at the girl beside him. Her eyes seemed to glow slightly in the darkness as she stared at the ship. "What is your name?" He asked the girl. She turned her eyes on him "Athena." She replied.

His smile faltered slightly though she didn't seem to notice. He had a feeling his king wouldn't like Athena coming. "Beautiful name for a beautiful girl. Now come we must hurry."

----

Balor watched the girl take his advisors son's hand. He had seen the way the boy had watched the girl and the way the girl had watched him.

He knew the girl. Met her before when she was a babe in her mothers arms. Sadly her mother had died shortly after and Balor had no choice in taking the girl above water to live with a horrible woman. He would have killed the woman then however the child needed her. Smiling evilly Balor went towards the red door of the house across the village. The girl no longer needed the woman.

-----

Cadeyrn watched Athena with a smile on his face. "You are smitten with her."
Caiside said suddenly from beside him.

"She is like nothing I have seen before. So curious about life. She had listened to the stories the old men were telling. Not once believing they weren't true."

"Yes brother that is true, however what will Balor think when we bring her home?"

Dropping his head Cadeyrn looked defeated. "He won't be too impressed. Though I think he will be happy to finally have her home."

"Will he allow her to be with you?"

That was the question Cadeyrn was asking himself. Would their god allow him to love the daughter of a banshee?

<><><><><><2,708><><><><>