Chapter 1

It was always the same.

"Marlow! Get in here and clean up this mess!"

"Right away, master!"

No matter what I did, no matter how hard I tried...I was always paid back with pain.

"Did you remember to warm up my tea this time?"

My body trembled slightly as I answered him, "N-No, I forgot."

I squeezed my eyes shut and clutched my head as his fists came down on my back. "What good are you, Marlow?! You can't even learn the simplest things!"

Tears streamed down my face as I yelled, "Please, forgive me, master! I can do better!"

Then one day, he finally took things too far.

"Marlow, what is this?"

I gulped, seeing my letter in his hand. "I-I...that was just...I wasn't..."

He quickly tore the paper to shreds and glared at me from across his desk. "You can't just run away, Marlow. Your mother sent you here to be my servant. You belong to me now."

"No, I don't!"

I quickly covered my mouth upon realizing what I did. In an instant, he had picked up the small, crystallized rock he had lying on his desk. Before I could even react, the small rock had collided with my face, scraping against my left eye.

I fell to the floor from the impact and placed my palm over my eye, which was already slick with blood. I heard the thud of footsteps followed by a hand grabbing me by the hair. My head was yanked back to meet the angry eyes of my master.

"Listen up, Marlow. I will not tolerate this kind of disobedience. If you speak to me like that again I'll give you more than an injured eye. Do I make myself clear?"

I trembled as I stared up at him through watery and blood coated eyes. "Y-Yes, m-master."

After that incident, I just shut down. I had no freedom. There was no escape. My life has been a living hell. A nightmare that I can't wake up from. And it's all because of him.

"Marlow? Are you listening?"

I turned my head to look at the man, forcing a small smile. "I always am, master."

He straightened his reading glasses and looked back down at the papers in his hand. "Good. Now as I was saying, my great great grandfather was a very wise and powerful man. He was known to-"

I rolled my eyes and tuned him out as I went back to dusting the books in his study. He's not even worth listening to. Besides, I have other things on my mind right now.

Once my cleaning was finished and Mr. Richmond finally stopped talking, I was sent out on one last errand for the night. I walked down the darkening street, my mind flooding with thoughts and memories.

How long has it been? Eleven years? My pathetic mother forced me to work for this man when I was only eight. She claimed that she didn't have enough money to care for me, but I knew that was just an excuse.

I worked tirelessly day and night for Mr. Richmond, my wealthy but abusive master. I had to drop out of school and never learned to drive a car. And here I am. Nineteen years old and I'm still stuck here with him.

A quiet sigh escaped my lips as I made it to the grocery store. I quickly picked out the things Mr. Richmond requested and went to the register. While the lady scanned my items, I heard a few whistles and murmurs.

I turned my head to see a couple of guys watching me with grins on their faces. Of course, everyone wants to stare at me in my maid uniform. I simply rolled my eyes, ignoring them as I paid and grabbed the grocery bags before leaving.

I headed back home to the small mansion and went inside. Almost as soon as I entered the front door, I was met by a familiar face.

"Oh, you're back, Marlow."

I noticed the suitcase in the blonde woman's hand and asked, "So you really were serious about quitting, huh, Lucy?"

She nodded and grinned happily. "Yep! I get to say good riddance to this place!"

"Lucky."

"Sorry to leave you like this, Marlow. But I don't want to live my life like this anymore. So long!"

She quickly rushed past me and out the door. I sighed and went to the kitchen. At least she gets a choice to leave. None of the people hired as servants here ever actually stay that long. I'm the only one who's stuck in this hellhole...but not for much longer.

I put the groceries away before heading to my room. I took a nice, soothing bath to gather my thoughts. Tonight is finally the night. Now that my mother has moved out of town and I've figured out all the details of my plan, I can finally make my move.

After getting out of the bath, I wrapped a towel around myself and stared at my reflection. With my green eyes staring back at me, I traced my fingertip along the scar over my left eye. I'll soon be able to pay him back for everything he did to me.

After getting dressed, I left and went to Mr. Richmond's bedroom. I knocked before poking my head inside, seeing the man already in bed, reading a book.

"Master, anything else you need for the night?"

His eyes left the book momentarily to look at me. "I'd like some warm tea."

I bowed my head and replied, "Right away, master."

I shut the door and went down to the kitchen again. I fixed a warm cup of tea before searching for the "secret ingredient" I stashed. I grabbed the small bottle hidden in one of the cabinets and twisted the lid off. Boy was I lucky to get my hands on this stuff.

I grabbed some of the white powder between my fingers and sprinkled it into the tea. I then hid the little bottle again and stirred the tea, mixing the powder into the warm liquid. With a grin plastered on my face, I took the cup and headed upstairs to my master's room.

I composed myself, my grin disappearing before opening the door. With a fake smile, I went over and placed the tea on the table next to the bed.

"Will that be all, master?" I asked.

"Yes. Thank you, Marlow," he answered, his eyes never leaving the book.

I bowed my head and quietly headed to the door. I glanced back to see Mr. Richmond taking a few sips of his drink. I inwardly smirked as I left the room.

Now for the next part of my plan. I quietly walked down the hall and to my master's study. I glanced around, making sure none of the other servants were up before going inside.

I went and sat myself in front of the desk, looking down at all the papers scattered on top of it. Just as I had figured, all these papers were about his great great grandfather and the treasure he buried before his death.

Mr. Richmond has been determined to find this stupid treasure, even though he has no need of it. Fortunately, I found the map before he did and hid it. I honestly don't care about the treasure at all, but I can't let my master find it either.

I laced my fingers and stretched them outwards before grabbing a pen and blank piece of paper. I remembered how the map was originally drawn and did my best to copy it. Once I was done, I took a moment to look over it.

Hmm, it looks better than I thought. The only difference is the spot where the treasure is marked is now in the woods behind the mansion.

"He won't know the difference," I muttered with a grin.

I neatly folded the map and tucked it into one of the books he'd been skimming. I made sure to put things back the way they were before leaving the room.

I laid in bed, quietly thinking over my plan. Now all I have to do is wait.