Chapter 3

My eyes flew open and I quickly sat up. I was still in the same spot but the sky was now dark and filled with stars. Have I been here all day? I looked down at my hands and gasped.

My skin, it's a dark greyish almost black color. And what is this dark liquid dripping off my fingers? Is that...my blood?! Why is it black?! I then examined a few strands of my hair. It's no longer brown, but jet black instead.

I then realized that despite being covered in blood, the large wounds in my chest were gone. I touched my face in shock, feeling the warm, black blood trickling off my hands and down my cheeks. What has happened to me?!

I looked all around at my surroundings in slight fear. For some odd reason, everything feels different to me now. As I picked up on every sight, sound, and smell, I felt a change throughout my body that made everything shrink around me.

When I looked down at my hands again, I was shocked to see them replaced by large, clawed feet. I then looked back at the rest of my body, going in circles as I did so.

I was on all fours and had a long, thin tail. My furless, black body was shaped sort of like a dog but a bit longer and thinner. What the hell is going on here?! What have I become?!

Being overwhelmed by this sudden change, my mind just went blank. I ran, my long legs carrying me quickly through the darkness. Despite being almost pitch black, I could still clearly see almost everything around me.

I don't know where I'm even going, but I soon found myself outside of the woods. My body seemed to move on its own as I went toward the first thing I saw. A small grocery store on the outskirts of town.

I ran at full speed and leapt through a large, glass window. I heard a number of yelps and screams as I zipped through the aisles, biting and clawing at everyone I passed.

Once I'd been through the entire store, I finally stopped, panting. Wait, I shouldn't even be here. I took a minute to catch my breath and gain control over this new form before looking around at the corpses that littered the floor.

I only just realized how small they are to me now. After glancing around at the mess I've made, I ran and leapt back through the broken window. I then stopped upon seeing my reflection in one of the intact windows.

Now I can finally get a good look at myself. I had a long snout with a large mouth filled with sharp, glistening, black teeth. My eyes were gold in color with the pupils being slits along with the visible scar over my left eye like I normally have.

And then I had long, thin ears that laid back against my head. Like the rest of my body, there wasn't an inch of fur to be found, just solid black skin.

Wow, I'm actually kind of awesome. My long ears perked up when I heard the sound of sirens in the distance. I twisted my head around to glance in the direction of the noise before taking off back into the nearby woods.

I continued running, soon passing by the place where I woke up and making it back to the mansion. I stopped behind the house, looking down at my claws. Now let's see, I need to figure out how to change back.

I kept my eyes on my claws as I imagined myself back in my normal form. I watched in amazement as my claws shifted back to hands right before my eyes. I stared at my dark colored hands before grinning slightly.

"Oh, now this is cool."

I went inside through the back door and went straight to the bathroom. Seeing my reflection confirmed my thoughts. I still look the same, even the scar remained over my left eye. The only difference was my dark skin, black hair, and gold eyes.

I thought for a moment before concentrating on my looks before the incident. I watched my reflection as my skin changed back to normal while my hair faded into brown and my eyes turned green.

I look just like normal again. I smirked. This could definitely come in handy. I wonder...

I concentrated on what Mr. Richmond looked like and watched my features change. My eyes turned a pale blue while my hair shortened and turned grey with a small bald patch on the very top. I even grew a bit taller, just like him.

"This is a very useful ability," I said to myself while changing back to normal. "Plus, that beast form is awesome."

I left the bathroom with a small smile on my face. Good thing Mr. Richmond didn't call in any of the other servants today.

I've got the whole place to myself and my new power stays a secret. I went to the kitchen for a snack but quickly found myself scarfing down a large ham that sat in the fridge.

I now stared dumbfounded at the empty space in the fridge. "Wow, I didn't know I had such an appetite."

This new power gives me a strange craving for meat, and a lot of it. I shrugged and went back to the bathroom for a bath.

I gathered my thoughts while I soaked in the warm water. Now what was it that I heard echoing in my head again? Changeling?

Changeling. I like it. It makes a good fake name for me. That night, I lay peacefully in my bed for the first time in years, knowing that I'm safe and free from harm.

"Mr. Richmond! Where are you?!"

My eyes snapped open at the sudden voice. That sounds like one of the other servants. I quickly got out of bed, glancing outside to see the sun was up.

I focused on changing my skin, hair, and eye color. I glanced at myself in my mirror to make sure I looked normal before leaving the room.

I tiredly walked down the hall and downstairs to see Mark and Katie. Their eyes landed on me as I made my way down to greet them.

"Good morning, Marlow. Do you know where Mr. Richmond is?" Mark asked with a slightly worried expression. "He never contacted either of us so we thought we'd come by."

I rubbed my eye, letting out a yawn as I did so. "That's strange. No, I haven seen him since yesterday."

Katie simply blinked at me for a moment before saying, "I understand that he was going treasure hunting yesterday, that's why he didn't bother calling either of us in. You were the only one here with him, where did you two go and what happened that made you lose sight of him?"

"Well, the truth is, I didn't go with him yesterday."

Their eyes widened. "What? Why not?" Mark quickly asked.

Alright, Marlow, gotta make up something believable. I tapped my chin in thought and began explaining.

"Hmm, let's see, where to begin. I remember he said something about finding a map in one of his books. I was getting some shovels so we could dig up the treasure when he told me to stay here. I tried to get him to change his mind, but he insisted on going alone."

"And what did you do?" Katie asked with her head tilted.

I sighed. "Knowing how he gets, I didn't push it. I stayed here and waited all day, but he never came back. At the time, I figured he had found the treasure and was busy digging it up. And since I didn't have a map, I couldn't follow him either. After doing a lot of cleaning, I went to bed pretty early, figuring Mr. Richmond would be back by morning. I guess I was wrong. Now I wished I'd ignored him and gone too."

I looked down at the floor sadly. Mark placed his hand on my shoulder and gave me a small smile.

"Hey, it wasn't your fault, Marlow. There was nothing you could do."

I nodded slightly. "Maybe. But I am getting worried now."

Katie crossed her arms. "I swear, that man will be the death of us. I hope he wasn't involved in that incident at the grocery store last night."

I felt my eyes widen ever so slightly at the mention of it. So word has already gotten out about that.

Mark's voice interrupted my thoughts. "We'll go out and see if we can find him. You stay here in case he comes back, okay?"

I looked up at the man and nodded. Him and Katie both quickly left, leaving me to smirk at how well this is turning out.

I chuckled to myself. "Yeah, good luck with that."