Chapter 21

Jeff's pov

Jack and I quietly moved closer. Four men sat around a small fire, talking and eating. With the trees and bushes helping to obscure us in the darkness, we watched and listened to them.

"Haha, what's really funny is how easily we almost got that huge Nightstalker!"

"I know! That must've been the Alpha! Who knew it would be so weak and pathetic without its pack!"

They all busted out laughing at their own comments. They must be talking about when they attacked Changeling. For some reason, their words toward her only made me angry.

They call her weak. She is not weak. I bet Changeling would've ripped them apart if they didn't have their fancy traps and weapons. Well, time to take care of them.

I inched closer, avoiding the obvious traps that littered the ground. Once I was in position, I jumped out, stabbing the nearest guy in the back. He screamed in pain as the others jumped up, grabbing their weapons.

Jack quickly emerged and joined in helping me take these guys down. One guy came at me with a knife while the other two went after Jack. I easily blocked the guy's attacks. I smirked to myself. This guy's good, but not good enough.

I could see the panic on his face as he figured out that he couldn't beat me. Seeing an opening, I thrusted my knife into his chest. His body fell to the ground and I noticed Jack had taken care of the other two men.

I turned upon hearing a muffled cough, seeing the first guy I stabbed in the back lying on the ground. He struggled to crawl toward a gun a few feet away. As he began reaching toward the weapon, I quickly walked over and kicked it away before crouching in front of him.

I grinned down at him as I pulled his head up by his hair. "Now tell me, why are you hunting the Nightstalkers? Where is the rest of your group?"

The man weakly smirked at me. "I'll...never tell you... You monsters...every one of you...will die."

He started chuckling which only made me more angry. "Go to sleep!"

I quickly sliced my knife across his neck, silencing him. I stood up and sighed, looking over at Jack as he came over to me.

"Let's head home," Jack said. "We need to tell Slender that this group is taken care of."

I nodded. "Yeah, okay."

It was quiet as we headed back home. I immediately noticed Changeling laying by herself. Jack and I went straight inside.

"I'll report to Slender," Jack stated while heading upstairs.

I went to the kitchen and opened the fridge. I got a couple pieces of pizza and chicken. After heating them up, I grabbed a soda and left the kitchen. I went outside and over to where Changeling laid.

She quietly watched me as I approached her and sat on the ground next to her, leaning back against the side of the house.

"I hope you don't mind if I sit here."

Taking a bite of pizza, I noticed Changeling licking her lips as she sniffed the air. I chuckled at her.

"Oh? Smell something you like?"

I grabbed the other piece of pizza and held it up to her. She sniffed at it before grumbling and turning away from it. I laughed a bit at her reaction.

"Aww, don't like pizza? How about this then?"

I put the pizza back on my plate and grabbed a chicken leg. I held it up to her to see her sniff it before gently taking it from my hand. She chewed it up and swallowed it, bone and all, licking her lips afterward.