Chapter 20

Marlow's pov

As soon as Jack came back outside, Slenderman began speaking in my head. "Since you know Jeff and Jack, I suppose I should introduce the others. There's Ben Drowned, Ticci Toby, Masky, and Hoodie."

He pointed a tentacle at each of them as he said their names. I lifted my head and gazed up at him. I might as well be nice since they did help us.

"I'm guessing you've already met Somber and Mute," I stated. "This over here is Wrath. And that's Joker."

I gestured my head to the two. Slender seemed to nod approvingly.

"It is a pleasure to officially meet all of you. I welcome you here at my home. I do have one question for you though. What is your connection to those that live in that small mansion?"

My eyes widened slightly. So they've seen us? And yet they still don't know? Well, no point in hiding the truth anymore. I chuckled to myself and sat up slightly.

"Isn't it obvious? We are those residents. We are one in the same."

Slenderman grew quiet for a moment before finally replying, "Why do you not take your normal forms now then? Do you not trust us?"

"Honestly, not completely," I answered. "With all that I've been through, I'm not one to put my trust in someone I don't know very well. And if I don't trust someone, I will not show them my true form."

"I see. And I suppose your pack feels the same way as well. Then I cannot force you, but I hope that you will learn to trust in those that saved your life."

With that being said, Slender turned and quietly went back inside. The one known as Ben Drowned grinned as he turned his attention to me. He started coming closer.

"Well now look at you. Aren't you just the coolest. You're not so scary when you're like this."

I growled at him as he reached his hand toward me. He instantly pulled his hand back and looked at me in slight surprise. I may not be scary to him, but I've still got some fight in me.

Jeff and Jack both calmly walked over to me. I let Jack take a quick glance in my mouth to check the injury.

"Good, it looks like it stopped bleeding," Jack mumbled while letting me close my mouth.

Ben crossed his arms and asked, "Hey, how come she lets you guys get closer to her?"

Jeff seemed to chuckle at his question. "I don't know, Ben. Maybe she just likes us better than you."

Ben quietly grumbled to himself as the other three boys came over. They all stopped beside Ben, afraid to get any closer than that. Masky was the first to speak.

"So did we hear Slender right? That brown haired girl we were following was you the whole time?"

So Slenderman filled them in on what I said. I nodded my head slightly to answer his question. I noticed Jeff beside me giving me a puzzled expression.

"Wait, so you're really just a normal looking girl?"

I let out a quick snarl. Excuse me, I am anything but normal. I huffed and thumped my tail against the ground in annoyance.

"I think you made her angry," Jack stated.

Jeff held up his hands defensively. "Well sorry, I didn't mean to offend you or anything. Sheesh, take it easy."

He pat the top of my head while I sent him a glare. Afterwards, I let out a tired yawn and forced myself up.

I limped over to the side of the large, dark mansion and laid back down against it. With my pack following me over and curling up around me, the group of boys all seemed to watch us for a moment.

"I think they've got the right idea," Toby suddenly said while stretching his arms and twitching. "It is getting late and I could use some sleep."

They all quietly headed inside, leaving my pack and me outside. At least this will give me a chance to rest and recuperate until my injuries are healed.

Jeff's pov

The next day, I headed outside with Jack and Ben after breakfast. We all went over to where Changeling laid to see her gazing out into the woods. That's weird. She's all alone.

"Where are the others?" I asked out of curiosity.

Changeling took a quick glance at us before returning her gaze to the woods again. Maybe they're out hunting or something.

Jack casually approached her, crouching beside her. He reached his hand toward her only for her to let out a snarl at him.

"Oh, stop it," he calmly stated. "I'm just checking your injuries. You want them to get better, don't you?"

She quickly stopped and allowed Jack to push open her jaws. He brushed his fingers over the roof of her mouth, causing her to wince. Ben suddenly crossed his arms as he watched.

"Man, you guys are lucky she let's you so close."

I smirked slightly and said, "What's the matter, Ben? Jealous?"

He quietly grumbled to himself. I chuckled and grabbed his arm, pulling him over next to Changeling with me. With Jack checking all her injuries, Changeling really didn't seem to notice or care that Ben was right next to her.

Ben seemed to stare at her with wide eyes as a grin spread across his lips. He slowly reached his hand out and touched her neck. Changeling still didn't seem to even notice him. Ben rubbed his hand over her black skin before pulling back.

"Whoa. Her skin is so smooth."

I gave him a pat on the shoulder. "I know. And she doesn't seem to really mind your presence now."

As Jack finished up, we suddenly heard rustling sounds. We turned our heads to see the other four Nightstalkers approaching. Two of them drug the body of a man while the other two had a large deer.

The three of us stepped back as they brought their catches over to Changeling. She chittered at them, as if thanking or congratulating them. They all quickly dug in, ripping flesh from bone as they hungrily ate.

Once finished, a couple of them began gnawing on the leftover bones as they lounged around. One in particular laid right against Changeling as he shared a bone with her.

Huh, I wonder if that's the same one that was lying with her when we first found her yesterday. They seem awfully close. Slender suddenly appeared beside me, causing Ben and me to jump slightly.

"Changeling, I need to talk to you."

Slender's pov

Changeling let out a small huff. "About what?"

Jack, Jeff, and Ben all backed away before heading inside, leaving us alone. I guess they knew there was no point in hanging around.

"Tell me more about those Nighthunters."

"To tell the truth, I don't know much about them myself, just that they're hunting us."

"I think we'll have to get rid of them. They're causing us too much trouble and wondering much too far into the woods. I'll have to send the others out to search and kill them."

Changeling almost instantly jumped to her feet before wobbling a bit. "Now hold on, if you're going on the attack then I want in. I need to pay back the ones that put me in this sorry state."

"No. You're too injured to go after them. You need to stay here and let yourself heal. We can take care of them for you."

She snarled before huffing and laying back down. "Fine. I guess I don't have much choice. But are you sure you're little friends can take them?"

"You underestimate them. They can handle these simple humans," I assured her. "And maybe once we do this for you, you'll feel a bit differently toward us."

She turned her head away and replied, "Yeah, maybe."

I left the pack alone and headed back inside. Getting rid of these Nighthunters is now our top priority. Should be simple enough.