Chapter 4

I sat on the couch, watching TV as I casually snacked on sardines. I flipped past a few channels before stopping on the local news.

"In other news, a local grocery store was ransacked last night and everyone inside was attacked. There were only four survivors of the onslaught who were taken to the hospital as soon as they were found."

So a few people actually survived my accidental rampage. I honestly didn't mean for that to happen. My mind was just too overwhelmed to comprehend my actions.

"Although each of them were asked about their encounter, they all replied with the same thing. They claimed to have simply seen a flash of black before an overwhelming pain rendered them unconscious. To back up their stories, the following footage was taken from a security camera."

Uh oh. My eyes widened as a video began to play. The camera was at an angle to where it showed a woman on an aisle with a bag in her hands.

Everything was normal until the shattering of glass caused the woman to yelp in surprise. All that could be heard now were screams and cries for help. Suddenly, a large, black blur zipped past the camera. In the next instant, the woman collapsed on the floor, large gashes covering her body.

Not long after, everything went silent. No more screams or any other noises. Then, the blur zipped back past the camera again before the footage ended. The man that was talking earlier came back on.

"Police are looking into this mysterious, dark creature. Some speculate it was a wild animal while others are calling it a monster of supernatural origin. Hopefully, the identity of this mystery creature will soon be discovered."

I grinned and laughed lightly. "What idiots. Those people don't have a clue. I'm more interested in those survivors than anything. How did they live through that onslaught?"

After a moment, I shrugged my shoulders. "Ah well. Whatever. It's none of my concern whether they live or die."

I spent all day just watching TV, reading books, basically anything I wanted to kill time until nightfall. Once the sun had set, I went outside behind the house, breathing in the crisp, night air. I focused and changed into that large, dog-like form again.

I walked out into the forest, my eyes instantly adjusting to the darkness around me. I perked my ears up and sniffed the air. Now I see why I was so overwhelmed last time. There's so much I can see, hear, and smell that I couldn't before.

Alright, time to test out what I can do and possibly catch a meal since I'm beginning to feel hungry. Perhaps I'll try what a human tastes like. After all, I'm pretty sure I'm not one of them anymore. And I already love this new freedom more than anything else.

I ran straight into the wooded area, easily dodging trees and jumping over large rocks and things as I went. With my long, thin body and legs, I can move very quickly with great agility. As I ran, I began to smell a delicious scent and changed direction to follow it.

The aroma got stronger and stronger until I reached the edge of the woods. Peering out from between the trees, I could see a couple of children playing behind their house. They tossed a ball back and forth to each other.

Hmm, here's a good place to start. These two will make easy prey. I watched them for a moment until one of them missed the ball that came rolling toward me. I crouched down and stayed quiet as one of them approached.

In the darkness, the young boy seemed oblivious to my presence just a few feet away. I waited, and after picking up the ball, he looked straight at me, squinting his eyes. Before he could move or scream, I quickly grabbed him in my jaws, instantly crushing him between my teeth.

The ball that he held had dropped to the ground, giving me an idea to lure the other boy closer. I pushed the ball with my foot, causing it to roll out and toward the other boy. He looked in my direction before slowly coming closer.

"B-Bobby? You better not be trying to s-scare me."

I watched in anticipation as the boy was almost right in front of me before realizing I was there. His eyes grew wide as he noticed the other boy already dead in my jaws.

He let out a scream that caused me to rip him apart with my claws to shut him up. I could already hear the doors of the nearby house bursting open, so I quickly scooped up the other kid in my mouth and ran.

These kids are so small that I can easily fit them both in my mouth, or maybe it's just because I'm pretty big in this form. Either way, I can easily carry my prey to a safe place in order to eat.

I eventually stopped once I knew I was far enough from those houses. I glanced around before dropping the corpses and began eating.

Mmm, human meat tastes really good. I continued eating until another scent caught my nose along with the snapping sound of fallen twigs. I picked my ears up and listened until a familiar creature emerged. I instantly pinned my ears back and growled, showing my black teeth.

Now standing before me was the same pale monster that killed me. It let out a hiss before taking a few slow, careful steps forward. I stood my ground, glaring and growling at the smaller creature. It watched me as it eased closer and closer before slowly reaching its clawed hand toward the corpses.

Oh no you don't, you're not stealing my meal. I quickly launched toward it, snapping my jaws as it quickly got back and hissed again. This thing is so lucky I'm not interested in eating it.

I once again jumped toward it slightly to scare it. It flinched back and then turned and ran off back into the darkness. I let out a small, triumphant roar that quickly turned into a howl. Wow, I didn't know I had that in me.

I calmly went back to my meal and finished it off. Now that my belly was full and I've tested my new power, I took my time and walked back toward my home.

As soon as the small mansion came into view, I noticed the large doors that led to the cellar. I never realized how big they were before. I could probably fit through there. I went over and grabbed the handle in my jaws, pulling the doors open.

I then jumped in past the small flight of stairs and looked around. I bet if I cleared out all the junk down here this place would make a good den for me if I decided to stay in this form.

I turned back into my human looking form and went upstairs, arriving in the kitchen. I stretched my arms as I headed to the living room. Good thing none of the other servants have been around much lately. That means I can do whatever I want, whenever I want.

After getting a bath and heading to bed for the night, I once again thought about those survivors. For some odd reason, I get a strange feeling just thinking about them. Maybe sometime soon, I can look further into it.