_three_

Lydia's pov

I was brought out of my conversation by people chanting "Greenie." Minho stood up and held his hand out for me to take. I smiled at him and took it and we walked over to Gally's "fighting class." I stood next to him with Ben behind me and Newt on my left side. Everyone was here watching. After Gally explained the rules he ran at the newbie and pushed him into a few of the guys who pushed him down.

He started coughing because of the sand but got up. "Stop calling me greenie." He demanded making everyone 'oh.'

"Stop calling you that? What do you want to be called? Shank?" Everyone either laughed or cheered but Minho kept a straight face while I let out a small smile. "What do you think boys? Does he look like a shank?" Greenie ran at Gally and tried to tackle him down but Gally spun him around a bit and then threw him to the ground again. "You know what, I think I've settled on shank." I knew how Gally could be and this could end badly for the new guy.

He grabbed Gally by the waist to tackle him and Gally grabbed the guy's torso. Newbie actually had the chance and threw Gally to the ground making everyone cheer. "Oh shuck."

Gally laid there for a while and greenie walked up to him confidently, "Not bad for a greenie huh?" Gally turned around and swept his legs out from under him. Greenie fell and bumped his head making me let go of Minho and run to him.

"Hey. Hey. Hey. Are you alright?" I asked helping him up.

"Thomas. Thomas! I remember my name! im Thomas!" Everyone was quiet and I looked at chuck to see him smiling and looking around. He's a cute little dork.

"Thomas!" Alby yelled loudly and everyone ran to Thomas congratulating him and welcoming him. Even Gally.

We were cut off from our celebration by a griever screeching from the maze. I walked up to Gally and stood next to him. "What the hell was that?" Thomas asked.

"That my friend, was a griever. Don't worry. You're safe here with us. Nothing gets through those walls."

"All right guys. Tuck in for the night!" Everyone got sad. "It was a good night." I said to them making people smile. I walked around making sure everyone was in bed before going to my hut and falling asleep.

.

I'm about ten years old. I can see who I know as my sister across the way talking to some girls. I'm playing with the dirt around me by myself. I sat for a while until I saw two shadows in front of me. "Hi. I'm Harriet and this is Sonya." A girl with brown curly hair said. I've had this dream before but I could never see anyone's faces. I waved slightly, "can we sit with you?" Little me nodded and they sat down.

We started to talk and play until the girl known as my sister came and walked over to us, "Lydia. Lydia! Lydia!"

I woke up by Alby shaking me awake. "Let's go. We gotta show Thomas where to carve his name." I got ready in almost five minutes and we left to wake up Thomas. Alby covered Thomas' mouth and he jolted awake. I shushed him. "Follow us."

We walked over to the wall with everyone's name on it. Some scratched out showing who we lost in the three years we've been here. "It's peaceful isn't it? I know it's hard to believe but it wasn't always this way." I said to him walking in front of the boys.

"We have dark days. We lost a lot of boys to fear, to panic. We've come far since then. Established order, made peace."

"Yeah, why are you telling me this?" Thomas whispered.

"Because you're not like the others. You're curious. But you're one of us now." I took the knife from Albys hand and walked to the wall.

"You need to know what that means." I finished. Thomas and Alby turned around and looked at the wall. I handed Thomas the knife as he looked at the names everywhere.

"What happened to them?" He pointed to the crossed out names.

"Like he said. Dark Days, Thomas." I sighed remembering the moments I had with each boy that passed. You could see my name and Alby's carved slightly larger than the others. I remember the day we decided to do this. About a week or two from when we came out of the box.

Everyone woke up and I told Thomas to go work with Newt for the day. I worked with Winston today because he just gets hurt way too much for me to handle. "Just do it like this." He showed me. I did it the exact same way and he was still telling me it was wrong.

"I did it the same way!"

"No you didn't!"

"Winston!"

"Mother!" He said that and we busted out laughing.

"Just finish your duties. I'll see what Fry's gonna make for dinner." I hugged him and I walked away.

I heard screaming in the distance, "Hey! Help!" I looked towards the Forrest and saw Thomas running out with Ben behind him. I took off running towards them, the other gladers hot on my trail. Ben tackled Thomas and started screaming.

"I'll kill you!"

Newt ran up, "Hey!" He hit Ben with a shovel and he fell to the ground groaning in pain. Gally, Fry, Newt and I were holding him down. "Calm down!"

He was moving, trying to get out of our grip. "What the hell happened!?" Fry asked.

"He just attacked me!" Thomas replied breathless. I got up.

"He what?" Alby came up to us just as Ben calmed down.

"Lift up his shirt." I said. Oh God I hoped I was wrong. Ben started pleaded for us to help him.

"No! Please I didn't mean it! Mother!" He cried out for me and all I wanted to do was help but Alby held me back.

"Do it!" Alby yelled. They did so and there was a hole in Ben's stomach with blue veins going all around it. I gasped and turned around into Alby's chest.

"No! No! No! Please!"

"He's been stung."

"In the middle of the day?" My voice was cracking.

Ben was still moving trying to get up. "Help me. Please. Please. Help me. Mother. Lydia." I couldn't help but let a tear fall out of my eye. Alby pulled me back before I could do anything.

"Put him in the pit." He said pulling me away.

"No! No! Please don't do it!"

"Med-Jacks!" Newt called to Clint and Jeff. They came and grabbed him and carried him off. Alby let go of me.

"Don't do anything." He said to me and then walked away. Winston tried to comfort me along with a few other boys. I pushed past them and walked into the Forrest. I knew they were going to banish him. It's our rules not to harm another glader and he did just that.

I fell next to a tree and started crying. I could hear him screaming still and I wanted to do nothing but help him. I can't just leave him. I just can't.