_nine_

In the morning of his banishing, Chuck, Minho, Newt and I went to the pit to wait until Thomas woke up.

"What the hell were you thinking?" Chuck asked him loudly making Thomas jolt up.

"What happened?"

"Gally's taken control."

"He said we had a choice, either Join him or get banished with you two." I explained.

"And the others agreed to that?" He asked turning to us.

"Gally has everyone convinced that you're the cause of all of this." Teresa said sadly.

Thomas nodded his head, "well he's been right so far." We looked at him with confused looks.

"What are you talking about?" Minho asked.

"This place," he started, "it's not what we thought it was. It's not a prison it's a test. It all started when we were kids. They'd give us these challenges. They're experimenting on us. And then people started disappearing, every month, one after the other, like clockwork."

"Sending them up into the maze."

"Yeah, but not all of us."

"What'd you mean?" I asked him.

"Guys, I'm one of them. The people who put you here-I worked with them. I-I've watched you guys for years. The entire time you've been here, I was on the other side of it." He looked at Teresa, "So were you."

"What?" I don't know if I should trust her now. I mean I barely did it when we met but still. If she did put us here...

"Teresa we did this to them."

"No. That can't be true. I wouldn't do that to my sister." She said in disbelief.

"It is, I saw it." Newt turned away so I put my arm around him. He held my hand and intertwined our fingers together.

"Why would they send you up here if you were with them?" I asked with glossy eyes.

"It doesn't matter." Thomas shook his head.

"He's right. It doesn't matter. Any of it." Newt said, "Because the people we were before the maze, they don't even exist anymore. These creators took care of that. But what does matter is who we are now and what we do right now. You went into the maze Thomas, and you found a way out."

"Yeah but if I hadn't, Alby would still be alive." That hurt.

"Maybe," they looked at me. "But if he were he'd be here telling you the exact same thing."

"Pick your arse up and finish what you started. Because if we do nothing-"

"That means Alby died for nothing. And I can't have that." I left them alone and went to talk to Gally about crossing the names of the boys we lost out. We went together and I started letting out silent tears. He crossed some out as did I. Then we came to the last one.

Alby.

Gally looked at me, "Do you want me to do it?" Even if Gally was a real slint head, he still cared about the safety of others. I shook my head and took a deep breath. I started hitting the knife and dragging it along the rock. After we finished Gally hugged me, "I'm sorry. I really am." I just nodded in response not trusting my voice to actually say things without breaking down crying.

He let go and went to get everyone ready for the banishing. I wiped my eyes and followed. A few of the boys brought over Thomas and Teresa from the pit and they undid Thomas' ropes and threw him to the ground. "This is such a waste."

"Gally." He turned and looked at Winston. "It doesn't feel right man."

"Yeah, what if Thomas is right? Maybe he can lead us home?" Jeff asked.

"We are home okay? I don't wanna have to cross anymore names off that wall." He pointed to where he and I just were.

"You think Banishing us is going to solve anything?" Teresa asked Gally.

"No. This isn't a banishing it's an offering."

"Gally!" I yelled but he ignored me.

"Wait, Gally! What are you doing?!" The guy holding Teresa started to tie her up. I ran over to Gally.

"Why are you doing this?"

"Because I have to." He turned back to Teresa, "You really think I'm gonna let Thomas back into the maze? After what he's done? Look around you! Look at our glade. This is the only way." I looked over at Newt who looked at Minho who looked back at me. I could see Chuck coming up to where everyone is with the bags he packed. "And when the grievers get what they came here for, everything goes back to the way it was."

"Are you listening to this? Why are you all just standing there!? He's crazy! If you stay here the grievers are gonna come back. They're gonna come back and they're gonna keep coming back until you're all dead!" She tried to explain.

"Shut up! Tie him up! Do you hear me!? I said tie him up!" Two of the guys started to pick Thomas up.

"Gally, please don't do this." I begged.

"You never took charge like you were supposed to. So now I have to. I have to do what's right." We turned around to see Thomas elbow one guy in the stomach and then punch the other. Gally tried to go at Thomas but Minho put his blade on his shoulder. Frypan cut down Teresa and they started moving towards the maze.

I stood next to Gally in surprise at them. "You're full of surprises aren't ya?"

"You don't have to come with us but we are leaving. Anyone who wants to come now's your last chance?"

"Don't listen to him he's just trying to scare you." Gally tried to make us stay. I looked at Teresa who was motioning for me to go with them. Newt and I made eye contact and I could tell he was pleading for me to leave with them.

"I'm not trying to scare you, you're already scared. Alright I'm scared. But I'd rather risk my life out there than spending the rest of it in here. We don't belong here okay? This place, isn't our home. We were put here. At least out there we have a choice. We can make it out of here. I know that." Great speech Thomas.

Winston started moving to them and then Jeff. No one else dared move so I did. Gally grabbed my arm and I stopped. I turned to him, "I'm sorry, but I can't live out my entire life here Gally. I really, really can't. It's been three years." He let go of me and I walked to them, some of the other boys following me.

"Gally it's over. Just come with us." I plead.

He just blinked and stared at us, "Good luck against the grievers." Newt grabbed my hand and we ran into the maze. Away from the glades that I've been in since I could remember.