Chapter 13

I was done. I waited outside the grocery store until a willing older man agreed to buy me Vodka. I walked down the street and down to the river as I chugged the Vodka down. It was at night, so when I downed about half the bottle, I walked over to the bar. Little T's Tavern. The Maverick was parked out front and I stood outside and watched as Tate stood behind the bar. He's not of age, but I'm assuming they don't care. He smiled at girls as he handed them drinks and there was that stupid bitch sitting at the bar. Blonde hair, short skirt, tan. Her legs were crossed and she played with her hair as Tate leaned in toward her smiling as he talked to her. He leaned in and kissed her again. I felt sick to my stomach! How could he! I thought we were- wait nope.. that's the Vodka that's making me sick. I ran to some grass and threw up all that I had today, Vodka. Tate came out for a smoke and I could hear him talking with some of the guys. Yes, the guys that raped me. I walked over to them, stumbling. "Oh hey! Looking for seconds girl?" Tate looked over at the guy next to him and then to me. "You had sex with her?" The guy laughed. "Sure let's call it that!" He laughed and went back in the bar. I walked over to Tate, trying to keep my balance. I pointed my finger at him, "You.. you left me!" He looked away. "Yeah." I pushed him, "You left me Tate! And then!" I pointed my finger at the bar, "You... and then! You took off with this.. BITCH! After she.. kicked my ass.." Tate took a drag of his cigarette and I saw more cuts, fresh cuts on his arm. He didn't bother to clean them this time. 

              There was dried blood trailing down his arm. "Yeah, Grace." His eyes were glossy and he looked really pale. "Why Tate!" He stomped out his cigarette and looked at me. "I don't know Grace." I broke the Vodka bottle and held it to my wrist. "Is this what you want? Do you ever care?! What the fuck happened?!" He looked at me, then the bottle. His face was expressionless, heartless. "I have to get back to work." He went to turn away and I grabbed his arm. "What's going on Tate!?" He threw up his hands. "My fucking brother died of an overdose now. I have fucking nothing Grace. Just let me be." He pushed me back and walked back into the bar. I'm losing him. I don't need him to save me, I need to save him. I sat on the curb and waited for Tate to get off. The blonde girl walked out first and ran to his car. "Come on Tate!" She giggled and lifted up her skirt so he could see her panties. He just looked over at her and waved to some of the guys as he walked towards her. "Tate! Wait!" I ran over to him and grabbed his arm. He looked at me and pulled his arm back. "What the hell do you want Grace! I'm sick of being around you!" I bit my lip and held back tears.. "why.. though?" He sighed and ran his fingers through his hair. The blonde girl ran over and held onto his arm. 

          "Is this bitch causing you problems baby?" He looked at her and gently pushed her away. "Alexis.. just give me a second, OK?" She huffed and let go of his arm. "What ever.." She walked back and sat on his car. "Grace.. When I'm with you, it reminds me of everyone. My fucking dad.. mom.. brother.. your little sister. Those fuckers Ryan and Paul.. I just.. want to start over." I started to cry. "And you don't think I don't want that?! I've been on the fucking streets because of you!" He sighed and left. He left with her. I was stuck here, another night alone, another night with no where to go. The nearest motel was over a half hour away. I went inside the grocery store and asked for Adam. The lady in the front called for him over the intercom, while chewing gum. 

         Adam came up, with a huge smile on his face. "Hey there she is!" He came over and hugged me. "You doin' OK?" I nodded and felt a little confused. He's acting like we're old friends or something. "Hey um.. do you.. know anybody who likes to party?" Adam put his hand on the back of his head. "Shoot.. um.. well the boys over at T's are.. into that? You want me to talk to 'em?" I smiled and nodded. "What are you lookin' for?" I sighed. "Anything.. really.." He didn't look too happy. "Well.. I get off in an hour, why don't you sit your pretty little butt in the employee's lounge and wait for me?" I nodded and sat back there. What was I doing.. I shouldn't be doing this. I should just go back home. Fuck that! I got up and walked to the liquor. I grabbed a fifth of Vodka and shoved it in my purse. I went back to the employee's lounge to wait. Adam finally got off and walked me to his car. "Now I don't want you in with the wrong crowd, so I'm gonna have you wait here while I talk to them boys." As he walked to the bar, I pulled out the Vodka and downed it. Adam came back ten minutes later and sat in the driver side. "Well.. here ya go.." He handed me a baggie with a variety of drugs. "Thanks." I went to get out and he grabbed my arm.

         "Um hey there. I don't want you to do those out there.. you don't have no where to go do you?" I glared at him. "And why would you say that?" He put his hand on the back of his head again, "well.. not to be rude, but you kind of.. don't look or.. smell like it. And you're in the same bloody outfit you were in when I saved you." I crossed my arms and looked out the window. He started to drive and I looked at him, paranoid. "Don't you worry, I got a barn you can sleep in and do those. Ma and pa wouldn't approve of you bein' in my house." I continued to watch as we made our way more into the country. We pulled up to his house and he introduced me to the barn. "Well, this is the barn.. you can stay here until tomorrow. My shift is at 2 so I can bring you to town when I go to work." I sat on a hay bale and smiled. He fidgeted and then started to walk away. "Well.. good night." "Night.." I sat there in the barn.. alone. The horses shuffled around and neighed. I heard the crickets chirping outside and chickens clucking. I held my drug buffet in my hand and contemplated putting myself out of my misery. I couldn't do that to Ada. I couldn't do that to mom.. or Jake. Or even Tate, even though he hates me right now. Thank god I had a charger in my purse. I laid there on the hay bale while I waited for my phone to charge. 

          I turned it on to see ten more texts from mom, and three from Tate. I looked at the texts from Tate. 

Tate: Hey.. I just need someone to talk to.  This one was from yesterday..

Tate: Please Grace.. I'm so sorry that I hurt you. I just really need you right now. Where are you? This one was from five hours ago. 

Tate: OK  I'm sorry to bother you. Tell your mom I'm sorry too. Please go home. I shouldn't have gotten us into this mess. I shouldn't have brought you into this mess. Goodbye Grace. Have a happy life. I'm done.

I sat up and tried to call him, no answer. I texted him. 

Grace: Tate! Please answer me!

                I jumped up and threw a small rock at the only light on in the house. Adam opened the window and saw me. I waved for him to come to me and he came down stairs. "What's wrong?" "Adam! Please drive me back to town! Like now!" Adam put his hands up. "OK, OK now you're going to be OK. Just lay on down in the barn and try to get some sleep.." I threw my hands up "What the fuck are you talking about drive me to town now!" He put his hand on my arm. "Now you're just tripping.. It's OK. Just relax." I held up the bag of drugs. "I didn't take any.. please my friend is scaring me. Drive me to town!" He examined the bag and then me. "OK, let me get my keys." I sighed in frustration and waited impatiently by his truck. I kept calling Tate, but there was no answer. Finally Adam drove me back to town and drove around, trying to find Tate's car. We finally found his car parked at a rest stop close to town. "There! Let me out!" Adam stopped the car and I rushed over to Tate's car. I had his head laid back, arms cut, and there was empty bags next to him. I tried to open the door, but the doors were locked. I ran over and got a rock. 

             I broke the passenger side window and opened the door. I crawled over to him. "Tate! Wake up please!" I shook him and put pressure on his wrists. He was cold. He wasn't responding. "Tate!" I started to cry hysterically and dialed 911.. "He's not breathing! Please hurry!" I held Tate's wrists and felt his blood covering my hands. "Tate.. please wake up!"