Chapter 1: the aptitude test

Five years. It's been a whole FIVE YEARS since Tobi left for Erudite and every single night while I'm in that wretched closet I think about why he transferred there, I still have no answer. Last night was one of those rare nights when I actually was aloud to sleep in my own bed, resulting in the best sleep I've had in some time.
"Caitlin get yourself downstairs and get me some breakfast. Now!" What? What time is it? I look over at my alarm clock. 8:00! I'm supposed to be at school in half an hour! Even when I'm in the cupboard I never get up this late as Marcus unlocks it when he's about to go to bed, even though I'm usually still awake at that time, I never go into my room as he had a camera installed there just days after Tobi left and I know that sneaking into my room will give him a reason to hit me. I quickly pull on some clothes (grey AGAIN) and rush downstairs, slowing down when I get to the last step so Marcus won't notice.
"What would you like, sir?" I asked, the last time I didn't ask this, well let's just say it didn't go too well.
"Toast." He replies, blunt and rude, just like every other time I make breakfast. I get to work making his toast and I'm about to make me a slice when he says "No you don't deserve any food today as you forgot to set your alarm." This has become the (almost) daily routine: I make the food, he says I can't have any, which means I have to rely on the (disgusting) lunches that are provided at school. After I make his breakfast, I set of to school.

I get to school just as the bell rings to tell us to go to class, meaning I'm the last Abnegation in school, which Marcus will see when he looks at the records for today. Perfect. Just perfect.
"Out my way, Stiff!" An Erudite shouts knocking me over while he runs to class. I pull myself up, I don't expect anyone to help me as I'm from Abnegation and I have no friends as Marcus doesn't let me go to any social events.

When I get to class, everyone stares at me, I'm not late but no Abnegation gets to class at the last minute. I just take my seat at the back and zone out of the lecture and listen in to the gossip that the Dauntless are always spreading around. The class ends and everyone who isn't Abnegation rush out to the playground, we have to wait for everyone else to leave and then we have to form an orderly que.

Lunch finally comes and goes and all of us sixteen-year-olds are told to go into the cafeteria for our aptitude test. I daydream about what life is like in Dauntless, I'm going there even if Tobi isn't there.
"... Caitlin Eaton" What? Oh, the aptitude test! I get up and go into a room in which a Dauntless woman with blonde hair and a tattoo of three birds flying towards her heart
"What's your tattoo?" I blurt out. Stupid, stupid, stupid.
"They symbolise my family, one bird for each member of my family I left behind. My name's Tris and I'll be administrating your aptitude test today."
"My name's Caitlin." I reply, as the polite to tell someone your name if they tell you theirs.
"Well, sit down and drink this so we can get started."
"What is it?" I question
"Find out yourself." Tris replies

A/N I don't really know what to write for the aptitude test so I'm just gonna let you use your imagination

I wake up from the sim and am greeted with a very worried looking Tris
"You need to go, now." She whispers while trying (and failing) to push me out of the door.
"What? Why?" I ask, why do I have to go? She looks behind her like she's being followed
"You're Divergent. You have aptitude for Abnegation,Erudite and Dauntless"
"But that's impossible, you can only be one faction."
"It's not impossible just very rare. You can't tell anyone, not even your parents. If, in the future if anyone does ask, you say you got Abnegation because that's what I'm going to put into the system."
"Wait! Can you put in my result as Dauntless instead?"
"Sure, why?"
"I want to transfer there and it would make more sense if my result was Dauntless."
"Okay but you really need to go, if anyone asks, you got sick from the serum, got it?" I say that I get it and then I rush home.

I skid to a stop when I get near to the front door, take out my set of keys and step inside the living hell I have to call home. Please let Marcus still be at work, please please please.
"What was your aptitude test result?" No such luck. I sigh in my head and stand in front of him, the last time I sat down without permission ended with me being unconscious and in the closet.
"Abnegation, sir." I reply without looking him in the eye. The truth, but not the complete truth.
"Liar!" He spits while grabbing my arm.
"I'm not lying, I swear!" I scream as his grip gets tighter and tighter.
"Fine go to your room and don't come down." That is one thing I'm fine with.

When I reach my room, I take out the blue, glass sculpture that Tobi gave me before his choosing ceremony and look at it. Maybe this was his way of telling me that he was about to choose Erudite. Suddenly I hear heavy footsteps coming up the stairs. Marcus. He opens the door and he seems to grow to about 10 feet tall, his face a picture of anger. He must've seen the aptitude test results-why did I have to tell Tris to put in my result as Dauntless?
"Why did you lie to me about your result?"
"I-"
"No excuses!" He just told me to tell him why I lied, now he's telling me not to tell him? That makes absolutely no sense. "Turn around." I do and as soon as my back is facing him, the first lash comes down. After about twenty, tears start to fall from my eyes. After forty I have to stuff my fist into my mouth to stop myself from screaming. When he finally stops, he draws a knife and starts cutting my flesh never making the cuts big enough to need stitches. Then he picks me up by my collar and kicks me into the closet and slams the door, locking it. Well, at least he forgot to look at the school attendance records for today.