Chapter Eight

Girl comes back to her place angry. She can thing only of this woolen carcass. How the hell can this hat talk? And how could Mike fell in love with it? He's leaved her... for a hat! That can't be! But she has a plan. She has to do something with it. She just needs time.
The phone rings a few times, it's probably Micky. She doesn't answer though. All day is passing. Cynthia just makes herself. She's ready to leave. She goes to Mike thinking about what she's going to tell him.
Mike opens the door with Hat on his head. He gives Cyn surprised look.
"Hey, Mike! I thought about everything. It's kinda stupid, isn't it? I mean... If you're in love it's none of my business, yeah? And I just want to say sorry. "She smiles and looks politely at Wool Hat.
"We still can be friends, right? I'm your first fan and all" She laughs.
"Of course, we can but..." Girl's penitence surprises him.
"Mike, listen..." Hat protests.
"I don't wanna disturb you. You should be happy together. Can you forgive me? "
"I... okay..."
"Great! What about to drink something? I've got whiskey" She cheers.
"Sure" Mike says and they walk to his living room.
"I'm not sure it's a god idea..." Wool Hat whispers to Mike as he goes to the kitchen.
"You're too cagey... She just wanna do something nice."

Meanwhile Mick thinks hard about Cyn. He feels really sorry about her, she's awesome girl and he likes her so much.
"Screw it, I've got only one life, I'll call her"
He does what he decided, but there's no answer. Micky knows, that Cynthia is sad and starts to worry that she could do something stupid. Girls are sometimes oversensitive. Finally drummer phones Davy.
"Hi, don't you know what's goin' on with Cyn?"
"No, why?"
"She doesn't answer my phones... I worry about her"
"Oh... Maybe we should go to her?"
"Good idea. I'll take Pete and we'll be there in a moment"
"Okay" He hangs up. After a while they come together to girl's house and knock. Silence.
They try to knock for a minute and then Mick pushes a handle. Doors are open, but no one's inside.
"Where would she... "
"Mike!" Everyone scream.
Mick is still worries and angry, because if something happen, it'll be Mike's fault. He wants to go alone, but guys prefer to do it with him. They go to Mike, not knowing, what will happen.

Mike and Cyn are quite drunk. Well... Mike is. He can't think straight and is very sleepy. Cynthia feels good. And Wool Hat... she has a sinking feeling but decides to trust her fiancé. She keeps watching the girl though.
At one point Mike falls asleep on the couch.
"Mike, love?" Hat whispers "Everything's okay? Mi-" She doesn't finish because Cynthia take her off of Mike's head as fast as possible and starts to garrote her.
Girl gets out the flat knocking into furniture. It's raining hard and it's late so nobody can see them. Suddenly Hat starts winning. She coils around Cynthia's neck. She doesn't think much, she just wants to live. Tears fill girl's eyes, Cyn tries to scream but she can't. She fights for every breath.
Then slightly ripped Hat starts to lose forces. All wet she skids down and falls to the ground. They fight again hitting walls and finally Cynthia tramples Wool Hat with her hill.
Cyn stays like that for a while smiling and listening to Hat's shouts.
This would be an end if Mike didn't wake up hearing all of these noises. He relies Wool Hat isn't with him so he gets up and get out to see dark street and silhouette of girl with hat under her shoes.
Even though he's drunk, he freezes at the sight. He falls to his knees and cries. This can't be true.
"Cynthia... please... I'll do anything... anything" He sniffs. "Do whatever you want but... please... leave her alone"
"It's all too late" She looks bleakly at Nez and takes Hat in her hands.
Mike cant's take it anymore. He cries and lams out into girl. He's drunk though so he stumbles under Cyn. All he can think about is his fiancée, his love. He can't let her die.

Then from the corner comes rest of the band. They stop seeing what's going on here. Mick steps forward and looks at Cynthia with wide eyes.
"Cyn..."
Maybe because of his look girl's hand trembles. She doesn't tear Hat apart and releases her. Looking for what has she done, she screams loud. Cynthia clutches her head in disbelief.
"I... I... what have I done...?" She runs out in the rain.
Meanwhile Mike crawls to Woolen shreds of his Hat. He grabs soft, cold wool with a ring in hands. Her screams stopped. She doesn't move. Guys surround him with compassion.
"Damn, Mike..." Davy says.
"Isn't anything we can do?" Pete asks sadly.
"...Love?" Nez cries.
There's no answer. Only silence. He starts to cry hardly. Suffering is tearing his heart onto pieces. He had a girl, fiancée, love, that was understanding him. He can't believe she is gone. No. It's impossible. It's too hard to understand.
Monkees hugs him, but Mike does not notice it. His tears slowly drip at wool. Filled with pain Time passes by. The only sound is Mike's sobbing.
Suddenly something happens.
Torn Hat starts moving. At first, Mike thinks that it's only a hallucination, but she starts moving harder. Guitarist's tears makes torn threads sew itself. One by one. His heart beats faster. After a moment he holds Wool Hat, safe and sound, without any mark.
She's just a little bit wet but she flicks herself and coughs.
"Hat? Love? Are... are you alive?" Mike asks.
"Of course, I am. What happened? Mike... are you crying?"
Mike gently weeps, everyone breaths with relief.
"She... She attacked you and..."
"Who?"
"Cynthia..."
"Oh... Yeah, I remember now..."
"But you're safe now. I'm so sorry, I couldn't protect you... I'm worthless... Forgive me" Mike looks the ground.
Wool Hat giggles a bit.
"No, you're not. I love you" She says.
"I love you too." He looks at her and smiles. He puts ring between her bobble and material.
They get off the sidewalk and kiss.
"Awww"
Mike asks everyone in so they could dry up. He hugs Hat tightly as he never going to let her go. Now they're safe. They can be happy forever.

THE END

So, that's it. Thanks everyone for reading.
I hope you enjoyed it.
Peace, love and everything else ♥♥