Insomniacs

Alex's eyes are not blue...they're hazel -_- whoops

***

"Hello, stranger," Hera said almost under her breath for she found not many words could come to her. He left her breathless as a strange fire began to burn through her veins when he looked at her with such quiet determination that he would not be the first to crumble. He was just as wonderful as when they last met; he made her heart ache with that feeling of want and need. He had undone the first few buttons of his crisp, white shirt and Hera's eyes followed the buttons and looked away as her mouth became drier and she had to swallow hard. His beautiful blue eyes looked her up and down slowly and he began to feel that familiar sense of danger when she was around and he had forgotten, or perhaps never appreciated, it's seductive quality. Many men could understand this emotion that was taking Alex over; for when Hera looked at you with those sharp, diamond-blue eyes and her soft, full lips opened slightly to take a breath, it broke all bonds to common sense that you had.

"Hera," was all he could say and she took a step off the stairs. She was only a meter away from him and he wanted, so badly, to hold her again. But he knew he couldn't. He had to remind himself of what she was, what she had become. There were a few more moments of agonizing silence, which were so painful that they both noticed, but did not point out, the tears that came to them. Suddenly, Hera took a step beside him and looked around the room.

"I remember this room." She said and Alex noticed the quaver in her voice. She took another step forwards so she had her back to him. He turned to her and wiped his eyes on his sleeve hurriedly. She blinked away tears furiously and pointed to a black leather couch, "I slept there once." She said nonchalantly. "And there," she pointed to his desk, "you cleaned my wounds." Hera said and tried so desperately not to let her voice tremble any longer. She put her arm down and bowed her head, focusing completely on not thinking about him, of how much she wanted him.

"Hera," Alex said again and just watched her back, willing her with all his might for her to turn around. "You're here to protect me?" He asked and she turned to him.

"Yes." She fiddled for a moment with a silver bracelet on her arm, "Scorpia have risen from the dead." Hera muttered, "they want you, but you know too much about MI6." She ran a hand through her long, chocolate coloured hair. Alex did not look at her but nodded.

"Why you?" He asked and looked directly at her. She jumped slightly when he spoke so harshly.

"I'm on vacation." She said simply. They looked at each other, Alex looked uncomprehending for a second, before they smiled bashfully.

"Some vacation." He commented and she laughed. "The biker?" She nodded, "and the waiter?" She nodded again with a smile and put a hand to her mouth. Alex wished she wouldn't do that, he loved seeing her smile, it made him grin too. "How did you...?" He tapped his head and she put a hand to her forehead to feel the damage.

"I ruined someone's lunch." Was all she said and Alex ran a hand through his blonde locks and slowly, as the silence carried on, their smiles faded. Hera pointed up the stairs.

"Sabina...lives here?" Alex missed the hope in her voice that she was wrong but he nodded. "Oh," she forced a smile, she was good at this; pretending she was fine when she wasn't. "I like her." She said as though consenting to his living arrangements. They stood awkwardly again and Hera fiddled with her bracelet some more.

"Do you...have anyone?" Alex asked but Hera shook her head with a smile. Alex cracked his knuckles, a gesture Hera was familiar with; he did this when angry or nervous and in return she bit her lip. Alex watched her do this and took a deep, shuddering breath, he had always loved her lips.