Five Minutes Past the Hour

Hera took a step back and smiled, almost in disbelief, at Tom who seemed to be experiencing the same surprise. Beneath the stars they stood by his car, he looked eagerly to her, waiting for her response. There was a strange look on the girl's face that Tom wasn't used to, one of bemusement and confusion. It was a truthful analysis; Hera had not let someone make her feel this way in such a long time. It was exhilarating when she felt him push back against her lips and she continued to stare at him as though she had never seen him before.

"Are you going to say some-" But Tom was cut off as Hera shook her head and leant in to kiss him again. The force took Tom by surprise as he ran a hand through her long hair and welcomed her into embrace again. After a few moments of the thrill of being held by someone, the pair broke apart for a second time and Tom's nerves left him as he saw a smile on Hera's face.

"Um," Hera said, slightly breathlessly as she thought of what to say, "do you, er...would you like to come inside for a drink?" Tom brushed a flyaway strand of hair away from her cheek, tilted her chin towards him and kissed her lightly.

"I'd like that," he whispered.

On the other side of the street, outside Ian Rider's house, another couple stood, looking confused and impressed. Sabina gasped and with a smile put her hand to her mouth.

"I never knew Tom had it in him," she said in a muffled tone through her hand. She looked up to Alex and her smile faded as she saw he was stood, stock-still, staring into the distance. She looked away from his face as his hands curled to fists and she swallowed hard as a stinging feeling in her throat began to arise. Sabina looked across the road and saw Tom and Hera enter Hera's house with smiles. "Shall we go inside?" Sabina whispered and Alex jumped, he had forgotten she was there. In a single moment, her worries disappeared as Alex looked down to her, his eyes softened and he smiled.

"Yes, beautiful." He said and kissed her on the forehead before putting his arm around her. They walked inside.

***

"So you don't know any of these people?" Tom asked as he bent down to look at a picture of Hera, somewhere in Italy, with her "parents." She shook her head as she emerged from the kitchen and handed him a glass.

"Not a clue." She replied with a smile and Tom let out an airy laugh. He looked around the living room and saw everything was much like Hera, beautiful, fragile, delicate, complicated. Way too complicated. But she still had that air of seduction, which intrigued him to the edge of insanity. Hera watched as Tom walked around her living room, marvelling at how well done this house was; they had pictures, whole photo albums, including pictures from when Hera was a child. The girl took a seat and tilted her head, admiring the way he ran a hand through his blonde hair...no, black hair. Hera shook her head, Tom had black hair. He turned back to her and she forced a smile.

"How long are you posted here?" Tom asked and she smiled as he sat next to her.

"As long as I need to be here." She said and Tom took her glass from her, placed it on the table in front of them and leant towards her with a confidence that made Hera smile. She did have an awesome smile, one that made him smile too as she innocently let her eyes fall to the floor and work their way back up to his own. As Tom came closer Hera noticed something; when Alex was this close she felt so much more...alive. Like they would tease each other, trying to get the other to break first; there was that feeling of intense heat that came between them but not with Tom. She tilted her head and bit her lip as she looked at his handsome face; she deserved a bit of fun. Heck, she deserved some decent, truthful human contact.

"I love the way you bite your lip," Tom whispered as he moved in closer and watched as Hera looked up innocently at him while digging her teeth into her soft, full lips. As she smiled, Tom tore his eyes away from her mouth and looked into her eyes. They narrowed on him and in an instant she had pushed him back, onto the floor and was on her knees beside him. Hera held her head up high as she looked down at Tom who was getting over the shock of being dominated within a second. With a wicked smile, Hera felt alive again.