Mr Goodchild

"Get upstairs," Hera snapped as she ran past him and turned off the light in the hallway. After having worked together for three years, Alex knew her every movement, her slight sighs and gentle giveaways, so he waited for her to look over her shoulder and nod to him.

After checking that the hallway was clear, and looking across the hall to see that none of her security alarms had gone off, the girl in the thin linen dress turned her head to face her ex-partner and nodded.

Alex ran ahead of Hera and took the stairs two at a time. As he made his way up the cream, spiral staircase, he glanced, in glass frames, pictures of Hera as a child. A picture of her and her mother in bathing suits, Hera had grown up to look like her...tall and slim, with those shocking eyes and chocolate hair. The only difference was Hera's skin colour. Bright blue eyes flashed past him and the old spy felt disgusted with himself that he was getting out of breath. He approached a landing and jumped out of the way in time for Hera to sprint past.

"Third door on the right." Hera pointed down a dimly lit corridor and Alex followed her directions. He glanced back to see her pull a painting away from the wall, like a door, to reveal a safe. She must have had weapons planted throughout the entire house and, holding her sheet to her body, she typed in the code to the safe which swung open to reveal her weapons rack. Alex looked away, he found it a strange sight; she looked so delicate and elegant in her white bed sheet and mess of chocolate hair, seeing her with a blade in her hands seem to ruin the picture.

The boy with the blonde hair sneaked through the hallway seemingly unnoticed; checking every room as he went. Eventually he came across the third door and peered around the corner.

"Jesus," he whispered and lightly hit the back of his head against the door frame as the feeling of utter awkwardness rose up inside him. His best friend was sitting in his jeans and shirt, on the edge of what must've been Hera's bed, his back towards Alex. Alex braced himself for the most uncomfortable conversation he would probably ever have to endure and with a deep breath he-

"Third door on the right." Hera said loudly as she walked up to Alex and shut the door in his face. Alex caught the quick flash of Tom turning to the door before he was blocked from view. The spy put her back against the door and stared up at him defiantly.

"Sorry." Alex said after a moment and turned to the door opposite them. Hera took a breath and closed her eyes in frustration. "This one?"

"Yes." She said even louder and grabbed the door handle or her bedroom to stop Tom from coming out and making this more embarrassing than it needed to be. Alex turned the door handle and walked in before looking back at her. The two stood in stony silence and looked directly into each other's eyes. There were so many strange feelings floating through the air between them. "This isn't the time." Hera spoke suddenly and for a moment Alex was going to argue. They knew they needed to talk, they needed to know where they stood in each other's lives. He thought again and agreed to take a rain check with a small nod. The emotions of embarrassment, lust, frustration and nostalgia were too intense, too much for this moment- right now they needed space from each other, they needed time to think. "Shut the door." Hera said, they had not broken eye contact. Alex tried not to think too hard as he pushed the door so it swung shut.

Hera tilted her head back against the cold, hard wood of the cream coloured door- she didn't have time for this. Turning the crystal doorknob, eyes fixated on the place she last saw Alex, she let herself back into her bedroom.

"Hey," Tom jumped up from the bed as he heard her enter. Hera ran a hand through her chocolate hair and walked over to her cupboard, accidentally ignoring him. Tom stood still, an air of unease filled the room as Hera grabbed what appeared to be a black corset from her wardrobe, turned to the bed and let her bed sheet fall to the floor. She began to dress with lightning speed and Tom watched in utter bewilderment as she put on her undergarments and then reached into a draw for a black dress and a gun. "Hera?" Tom said, hoping he hadn't somehow invited his own murder. Hera tied up her hair roughly and walked over to him. She threw the gun on the bed and flung her arms around his neck before kissing him. Tom wasn't sure what was going on but he knew that a kiss from Hera couldn't be a bad thing. He ran his hands down her sides and felt the fabric of her corset beneath the dress. Hera pulled away from him quickly.