Dinner Date

This is the longest will they/won't they in the history of will they/wont they-s

***

"Hey!" Sabina opened the door to Ian Rider's house with a bright smile and was taken aback as Tom swooped in to embrace her. This gave Hera a brief moment to put on a face of happy surprise.

"Congratulations!" Tom bellowed through the house as he practically picked Sabina up. The girl still looked shocked when Tom dropped her on her feet again.

"Congratulations." Hera said through a forced smile and embraced Sabina with one arm. Again her shoulder Hera smelt her flowery perfume; so mundane, so drab, so unlike anything Hera wanted to know.

"Thank you." Sabina whispered back. As the two girls pulled away from each other, they glanced over at Tom who looked slightly disgruntled.

"Where's Alex?" He asked, looking very much like a lost child. Sabina laughed and pointed further into the house.

"Setting the table." As she waved her hand to gesture Tom down the hall, Hera caught sight of something glittering on her finger.

"Oh, let me see the ring!" Hera squealed in a way she had heard women do when eavesdropping on their lifeless conversations during her travels. Sabina held out her hand to reveal a pear-shaped diamond sitting on her finger. Hera almost laughed.

"It's...beautiful." She admitted and followed Sabina into the dining room. Inside, Tom was across the table from Alex, putting out china plates and silver cutlery.

"I'll bring in some food, Tom, help me." Sabina instructed and Hera, who found this a little bossy, wonder why the girl thought it was okay to leave Hera and Alex alone. Did no one else see it? Did no one else feel what was going on between the two of them? Hera stood awkwardly by the door, staring into the mirror opposite her; taking in a face that didn't look like hers for it was smiling.

Alex was staring at her from across the room. Almost exactly how they were stood in that meeting room two years ago, both on opposite sides of a war, wondering who would break first.

"Go on." Alex said suddenly, "say something." Upon hearing this, the female spy sighed with regret and looked up at him. What should she say? Isn't nineteen a little young? What next, a joint savings account? How will you possibly handle such excitement? But she couldn't say those things, she didn't want to.

"I don't want to argue-"

"I can see it coming so just get it over with." Alex snapped. She just stood there, looking delicate and vulnerable as she pushed her hair behind her ear and searched for the right words. Looking over at him, a million thoughts came to her at once. His blue eyes narrowed on her as he held on to the chair in front of him, waiting for her quips.

I'm sorry, Alex. I'm sorry couldn't be the one to give you the things you wanted. The things you needed. I'm glad you found someone who could. And even though my heart is broken from years of longing for you, I am happy. Because you will be. Because you will finally be rid of me.

"Well done." She spoke clearly into the room two words Alex could not understand. His face screwed up in confusion.

"Well done?" He repeated slowly. Hera nodded at him/

"You did it." She admitted with a shrug, her hair falling from her shoulder. "You got what you always wanted. A normal life." Alex had no idea how to feel, enraged or miserable, as Hera put a finger up to her eye and wiped away a tear. "Congratulations." She smiled at him with trembling lips. "I'm going to see if Sabina needs any help."

"Hera-" Alex called after her but she had already left the room.

Dinner was one of the oddest experiences Alex or Hera had ever had. There he was, sat with a girl he had chosen to marry, looking over at a psychotic killer he wanted to know the taste of. Perhaps that was all it was, lust? Perhaps there was no love between them at all, now or in the past. And she, who bit her red lips at his best friend, kept Alex in the corner of her vision. Eyeing up his movements, keeping her hands on Tom at all times. Laughing at his jokes, stroking his arm. It was at one of Tom's particularly whimsical anecdotes that Hera decided she had had enough of this suburban babysitting bullshit. It was time to take action.

"Well, I am best man," Tom looked around the table slowly, "I am best man, right?" He whispered to Alex who nodded with a smile. Bringing her glass to her lips, Hera took a sip of wine and looked over to Sabina. The girl's eyes were unfocussed, she yawned as though exhausted and blinked up at Hera as though a child who wanted to sleep. Tom also, began to droop in his seat, he appetite suddenly gone. In fact, he felt quite sick.

Suddenly, Sabina grasped Alex's hand on the dinner table.

"Alex, I feel funny." She said timidly. Alex, who shook his head as though to wake himself up, looked over at Sabina with the same, foggy eyes.

"I wouldn't worry." Slowly, all three dinner guests looked over to Hera who sat back in her chair, sipping on wine. "The dose isn't enough to kill you." Tom's chair toppled over as he stood, sluggish from the table. He staggered around and leant against the table for support, looking at Hera with wide, terrified eyes. "You'll be fine if you just sit down and go to sleep." Hera said almost like a school teacher.

"Hera..." Sabina whispered and collapsed onto the table. Tom too slipped off the table and onto the floor.

"Hera." Alex said quietly. The ex-spy was holding onto the table as though the room were spinning, his eyes could not focus proper on her but he could make out that she leant towards him and was looking him in the eye. "What...what have you-?"

"Do you know who I am now, Alex?" She interrupted and in his last few moments of consciousness saw her remove from her handbag a set of car keys and a small pistol. "I'm the bad guy."

***

They won't.

...Or will they? Hahahaha.

Votes and comments appreciated!