(Washington x Reader) Mournings

"I'll meet you at the station at 6:00pm. If I'm not there yet, I want you to go ahead and get on." David held onto your hands. You had been planning this for weeks now. The both of you would leave this life. You'd go start new ones, outside of the army, outside of the military and special forces, outside of the lives that tortured you everyday. You'd have real lives, ones that you could share together until the end of time. You were both on an extended mission, supposedly getting back in a few days only to turn around and go on another. The mission was successful, you obtained the information and sent it back to command. The catch was, you wouldn't be returning. On the flight back, both your planes were set to crash and you'd both be pronounced dead in the wreckage. It was a full proof plan.
  "-but what about you? I don't want to be alone." You gripped his hands tighter.
He knew you had problems with abandonment. You couldn't stand the idea of walking away from someone or vice versa. This would be the last time you saw him until you made it to your destination.
  "I'll meet you in the city. You know the condo I bought, you have a key. I'll be there within the day." His eyes were dead set on yours.
  "Promise?" You felt your mouth hanging slightly open, your eyes beginning to cloud with tears.
  "Promise. Now go." He kissed you on the forehead, wrapping his arms tightly around your body. "I'll see you soon." His voice sounded rushed and forced, unlike how he usually was.
  "I love you." You whispered into his chest, feeling your breath warm his shirt.
  "I love you too."
He released you from his grasp. Your body lingered there for a moment, wishing you could have held on longer. Yearning for another few seconds with him. He bit slightly onto his lip, his eyes teary as he slowly breathed out. Then, he turned and left.
You waited, watching his figure travel far into the distance, eventually becoming invisible and disappearing. It was time to act, you wiped the wet spots from your eyes and set out to your own plane. The drop was already filled with a suitcase and your things, your seat hooked up and ready to eject.
"Command," you put the headset on and tuned the radio. "Come in, Command."
"Command." A voice replied.
"This is Agent (S/N), ready for departure. Expected return time, 48 hours. Set to autopilot."
"All clear for takeoff Agent (S/N). The area is clear, no threat. See you soon."
"Agent (S/N), signing out."
Your fingers shook as you flicked the radio off and set aside your headset. The sky was dark now, only the moon and stars illuminating your field of vision. You could see David's plane taking off and heading in the opposite direction as yours. Your heart urged you to follow, but you knew he had to go alone. You'd see him soon.

****

"Miss?" A voice called, a finger tapping on your shoulder. You shook yourself from your trance state and blinked a few times.
"Miss?" It asked again, the entire hand now grasping onto you. "The train is here. If you don't get on now, you'll miss it."
When you looked up you saw that it was the conductor. He wore a sharp hat with a suit and white gloves. Very stereotypical outfit, you thought. Your eyes glanced over to the entrance to the area, no sign of David.
"Okay." You rose from the old wooden bench you sat on. Your pants crackling as small pieces of string hung on to the tearing wood. He kindly offered to take your suitcase from you but you denied. You hiked your backup further up onto your shoulder and climbed aboard.
"We'll be at our destination in an hour." A voice said over the intercom. You searched for an open seat, finding one in a seemingly empty cart. The lighting was dimmer here than in the rest. Shadows seemed to dance across the curtain-covered windows, swaying and sprawling across the red carpeted floor. You sat in a booth with forest green seats and a large dark oak table. Your curtain was parted slightly  and you could see the rushing landscape pass by. The mountains blurred into streaks of grey and brown.
These trains were supposedly some of the fastest in the world. Speeding across counties in less than the time it would take to fly. You'd be there soon. Hopefully, so would David.
The condo was nice, too big for two people. There were four bedrooms and two full baths, a generously sized kitchen with beautiful granite counter tops, a living room with a skyline view, a cute place for a dinning room table, and a charming balcony with vines wrapping up the metal poles. It was home. You unpacked your things, doing your best to find something to occupy your mind in his absence. Supposedly the condo was completely paid off, the only expenses being basic lighting and water bills. He had told you those would be covered for years, as he initially put a lot of money down.
You tried to help him, but he refused. So, when he got home you'd surprise him with a trip to the local animal shelter. He always loved pets, and that would tie the family together. A pet wasn't enough to show your true thanks, but it was going to have to do until you could think of something else.
Everything about this place was beautiful, the furniture was a dark wood that was smoothly sanded and coated in a sleek top coat. The walls were decorated with paintings and mirrors, shelves and old rustic looking bottles. The bedroom was beyond anything you'd seen before. A huge king sized bed was positioned in the middle of the room, one wall was made entirely of Windows and on the other was a door to a walk in closet. It's like he found your childhood list of what you wanted, and compiled it all into one place.