Overcrowded Cult-Sanctioned Snooze Fest

"Remind me again why we have to go to this?" I groan.

I am currently an unwilling passenger in the back seat of Violet's car. She literally barged into my house and dragged me outside without telling me what the hell we were doing until she was going forty-five with the child's lock on.

"Because Rhett is our friend, and friends support friends," she answers in exasperation.

"Ben's my friend and you've never made me go to on of these stupid, overcrowded, cult-sanctioned, snooze fests to support him," I argue.

"Stupid overcrowded...Just call it a football game," she shouts.

"She actually has a good point, though," says Ben, turning to Violet who just ignores him.

"Yes, but that doesn't count. You're friends with Ben because you're friends with me. It's by default. However, Rhett is your real friend." She pauses. "One of your best friends actually," she grins, wiggling her eyebrows. I knew it was a bad idea to tell her about that.

"I don't know. I've grown pretty fond of Ben over the years. The late nights, the longing glances when your not looking, the secret makeout sessions."

"You're going," she says frustratedly while giving her chuckling boyfriend a whack on the back of the head.

"But I never even go to any of your games," I whine.

"Ya, and I often find myself considering why I don't dump you and find a friend that will," she huffs.

"Fine," I groan dramatically. "But just this once. Don't expect me to catch school spirit or develop a love of football or anything."

"I don't think it's football she hopes you'll develop a love for," says Ben, turning around to face me, a sly grin firmly planted on his face.

"What? Is she wanting me to take you off her hands because, without the forbidden aspect of it all, I'm afraid we might lose the magic? No offense."

"I was talking about Rhett," he says bluntly, the smirk never faltering.

"Geez, that one must have gone completely over my head," I say sarcastically, hoping to dodge the topic for as long as possible.

"Give it up Ben. She's never going to admit she likes him," sighs Violet.

"Now wait a minute. Rhett and I are just friends you guys. I do not like him."

"Told you," says Violet to Ben.

"You are impossible," I shout, throwing my hands up in the air.

"Fine, fine, change of topic," says Violet. "Tell me again how you convinced your parents to let you go to San Angelo."

"It actually wasn't all that hard," I say, glad to no longer be talking about Rhett.

I had asked them as soon as I got back home on Monday and it had been surprisingly easy. They were a little skeptical at first. I had to agree to call practically every hour and check in as well as carry a can of pepper spray with me, but they had eventually caved.

"Well, however you did it, I'm glad you convinced them. I can't wait. It's going to be so much fun," she squeals.

She and Davin had been more than happy to receive an invitation to what they were now calling, 'the road trip to end all road trips'. Violet had even secured a spot in the boys car for Ben.

It hadn't been as hard for them to get permission as it had been for me. Violet's mom would do anything to win Violet over ever since she divorced her father. The minute Vi uttered the four magic words, "Dad would let me," she could do just about anything she wanted.