You're Almost as Insecure as Me

The next day Violet and I are the last ones to arrive at Rhett's, pulling up thirty minutes after twelve.

"We are so late," groans Violet as we walk up to the front door.

"I actually feel pretty accomplished. I thought we were going to be a lot later," I joke.

We stayed up half the night planning out today's activities so it's really a miracle that we are even slightly punctual. We just woke up thirty minutes ago and I had gotten ready in record time. My hair is a mess and my T-shirt is a little wrinkled but, hey, I'm here.

"Of course, you do," says Violet.

"What's that supposed to mean," I demand.

"Hen I love you, but you're are always late."

I open my mouth to argue before realizing I haven't got a case. She's right.

"Ya well, I like to keep people on their toes. Is she showing up today? Is she running late? Has she been abducted by aliens?"

"Right because people always consider alien abduction when accounting for why you might be late," says Violet, shaking her head.

"As they should," I reply, my tone serious.

She just rolls her eyes at me before ringing the doorbell. It takes two seconds before the door is flung open by an extra angry looking Harrison.

"You're late," he deadpans.

"We were abducted by aliens," jokes Violet dryly, moving to stand beside Ben.

"Yes," I nod. "They took us into their spaceship and kept going on and on about the muscles in our jaws that make us capable of smiling. They seemed to think it was unsettling so they finally let us go. They probably would have liked you, though"

"You have got to be the most annoying person I have ever met," he mutters, clearly not amused by my little story.

"Thanks for the constructive criticism bud. I'm glad I have you to look out for me," I say with false sincerity as I shove him aside and enter the house.

"So," says Grant, rubbing his hands together in excitement. "What's the game plan ladies?"

"I'm glad you asked Grant," says Violet. "We will be starting off the day with a picnic at the zoo," says Vi.

"A picnic," groans Harrison with distaste.

"Harrison, shut up," Davin and I yell at the exact same time, eliciting a cold glare from him.

"A picnic sounds good to me. I'm starving," grins Rhett," meeting my eyes for the first time today.

"You sure you're up for it," I ask, the concern in my voice obvious.

"Yes, babe," he chuckles. "I think I can handle a simple picnic."

"Alright then. Let's go," yells Grant, already heading out the door.

I make a move to leave, but Rhett's hand on my shoulder stops me.

"What's up," I ask, looking up at him.

"I just wanted to say thanks," he says, in a voice that lets me know this is one of those rare times that he's not dripping with confidence. He's unsure of himself, I can tell.

"For what," I ask, confused.

"For... I don't know. Not going to San Angelo without me, and for planning something for all of us today," he mumbles, rubbing the back of his neck uncomfortably.