08 | It's A Date

I PARK MY CAR IN FRONT OF Zahra's house and pull out my phone to text her

I PARK MY CAR IN FRONT OF Zahra's house and pull out my phone to text her. I would be lying if I said that Zahra was what I thought she was, she isn't as mean or as hard as she portrayed herself. She was nice, funny and naïve. She is everything I wanted in a girl, from her sense of humor to her beaming personality, there was just one issue, of course, she is black. And I just cannot picture it happening.

My thoughts are interrupted by the sound of knocking and I turn to see a girl knocking on the window, she motions for me to wind it down, so I did.

"Can I help you?" I ask, not winding it down completely in case of anything.

"I'm sorry to disturb you, but are you Levi?" She asks, raising an eyebrow.

"Um, yes," I say, trying to get a look at her. I had never seen her in my life. "Can I help you?"

"The one that called Zahra last night?" She asks, ignoring my question.

"Yeah," I say. "Can I help you? Did something happen to Zahra?"

"You are white?" she frowns, standing back up straight.

"I believe so," I say, looking down at my hand. "Can I help you?"

"I had a feeling you would be white," she sighs, continuing to ignore the question I was asking her. "I have never met a black boy called Levi," she turns to the other girl next to her that I didn't notice up till now. "Zahra is into white boys now?" She asks, shaking her head. "That girl is going to hear it."

Before I could respond, Zahra walks out of the house. Her hair was in a neat bun and she was wearing a floral dress with sandals, she looked beachy. Her eyes widen when she sees the two girls and she stomps over to them.

"What are you two doing here?" She asks, stopping in front of them.

The girl that was talking to me points at me. "He is white. "When did you start dating white boys?"

"I am not dating him," she says. "He is just a friend, Janice,"

"Yeah, Of course, a friend taking you out on a date," Janice says, looking at the other girl.

"It is not a date," Zahra says sternly.

"Yes, it is," Janice says. "You and him alone at the beach. Sounds romantic, doesn't it, Taya?"

Taya nods lightly. "It does appear romantic, but it's cute,"

"It is not a date," Zahra says. "And even if it was, what is so wrong? When did my life become any of your business, Janice?"

"He is white," Janice says, in a very low voice, almost inaudible. "Zahra, He is a white boy,"

"So what if he is white?," Zahra asks. "He is just another human being, Janice,"

"I'm sure he don't see us that way," Janice says, turning to lock at me. "You're probably disgusted by us, aren't you? You think I'm some ghetto black girl, don't you? You think you're better than us?"