16 | Hierarchy

WHATEVER THE CONVERSATION between Zahra and that boy was, it had changed her mood for the rest of the night

WHATEVER THE CONVERSATION between Zahra and that boy was, it had changed her mood for the rest of the night. I watched closely as they talked, she tried her best to stay calm, but he was calm. He was very composed, like nothing in this world could possibly disconcert him. His expression remained relaxed throughout the conversation, while Zahra was barely trying to hold herself together. I wanted to go over there and ask him what he wanted from her, but I held myself back. After what had happened with Jax, I wanted to let her know I respect her privacy.

It had been going on for almost ten minutes now and I was contemplating on whether to march there or not. I watch as he says something and Zahra nods her head like she had no other option to, her head facing the ground like she was sad. He uses his finger to push up her chin so they could look at each other and he says a few things before walking away. Who was this boy and what relationship did he have with Zahra?

She stands there, still for a few seconds before turning and walking back over to me, I decide to meet her halfway. "Are you okay?" I ask, holding onto her shoulders. "Did he do something to you? Did he say something to you?"

"No," she says quietly, shaking her head. "Don't worry about it," I had never seen her in this state before, Zahra could always handle everything, but now she looked like she couldn't handle whatever conversation she had with him. Like she had fallen apart. "I just want to go home. Can you take me home, please?"

I nod. "Of course," I was grateful I didn't drink as much or smoke as much as I wanted to, I was sober enough to drive her home. "Let's go,"

I lead her out of the party and towards where my car was parked. She looked so soft and fragile, she was so unrecognizable. The car ride was silent, she just sat still and watched out the window as we drove. I glanced over at her once we stopped at a signal, I was contemplating on whether to ask her what they had spoken about, what relationship they had with each other and how they even knew each other in the first place.

"Zahra, what happened?" I say, deciding just to say that. "Do you want to talk about it?"

She shakes her head, the look in her eyes still distant. "It's nothing. Just forget about it?"

"I just can't forget about it, Zahra," I say. "Whatever that boy told you has really affected you,"

"It is nothing, Levi," she says sternly. "Please, just let it rest. I don't have strength for this right now,"

"I'm not going to let it rest," I say. "Zahra, your mood changed after that conversation. Did he do something to you? Did he say something to you? You can talk to me,"

"Levi," she says exhaling loudly, trying to calm herself done. "I don't want to speak about it. Not now, not ever. I would appreciate it if for once you respected my privacy,"

"Zahra-"

"Levi, if you want to continue like this, I would rather take another ride home," she says, her tone serious . "I am not in the right frame of mind to argue with you over this,"