~Day 19~

Song~ Drops of Jupiter by Train

***

I wake up not knowing when exactly I fell asleep last night. What I do know is that up until that point I cried. Out of habit, I roll over and go through my phone notifications. I have 4 voice mails on my phone.

All of them are Mason.

I press the first one. His voice sounds tired and upset but most of all desperate. "Vivian, I'm so so so incredibly sorry. Fuck," he cursed loudly. He exhaled deeply before continuing. "I was just so pissed last night and I know that's no excuse for what I did or what I said, but I need you to hear me out and let me try and explain myself. I'd rather not do it on a voicemail so please call me back."

I scoff and press the next one. His urgent voice fills my ears again. "It's been an hour and I haven't heard anything. Not a text, not a phone call, or even a fucking tweet. Please talk to me, Viv. I get why you don't want to—I wouldn't want to either if I were you—but I don't like where we left things. Please call me back."

I listen to the third one. The back of my throats starts to burn. "Viv, please please please answer me. I'm an idiot, I know that, but please just listen to me. You don't even have to say anything. I'm begging you."

I finally press the last one. He sounds exasperated at this point. "Viv, please, talk to me, baby. I can't lose you too. This silence is killing me." The pain in his voice almost makes me want to call him.

Almost.

I'm going to let him suffer for a little longer. I'm not going to bend to his will just because he said so.

With all the confidence I can muster, I change into skinny jeans and a floral peplum top. I zip up my leather jacket and tie my heeled boots before leaving for a long walk.

***

The grey door swings open moments after I rang the doorbell. I offer a small smile.

"Hey, can we talk?"

Kat looks visibly surprised. She steps aside. "Sure, come in."

"Aren't you supposed to be in school?" I ask walking in.

"Aren't you supposed to be out with Mason?" She retorts with a raised brow.

At the mention of his name, my heart pangs in my chest. "Actually, I'm right where I'm supposed to be. With my best friend who I really need right now."

We sit down on her couch side by side. I rest my head on her shoulder. "Mason and I had a fight," I mumble.

"What happened?" I can hear the concern in her voice. "When I met him, he didn't seem like the type who would be a dick without a reason."

I shrug. "Maybe we don't know him as well as we think. He has a lot of problems and despite all that he acts likes he's okay. He probably just cracked from all the pressure or something because I've never seen him like that, but it still hurt."

"Why? What did he say?"

"He told me I'm a charity case and he's only helping me because it makes him feel better. He also said he likes giving back to the less fortunate a.k.a me." I use my index finger and point at myself.

"He must be really out of it for him to say all that," she reasons.

I stare at her with a pointed look. "You're supposed to be on my side."

"I am, even though you can't tell I've always been on your side. I'm on the side that makes you happy. I know you really do like him. And I know he really likes you too. When he came to me with that bat-shit crazy plan, all he told me was how he thought you'd love it and he wanted to see the smile on your face when he climbed through your window. Sure, we had to plan a few hours in advanced, but he kept thinking of you. So if you try and tell me he meant that, I wouldn't believe it. I want you to be happy, Viv. And I know that happiness comes from Mason. So, before you shut yourself off, you need to find out what put him in such a bad mood. You don't have to do it now, but soon because if you die without talking to him it will crush him."