Chapter 1

We had been at war for almost twenty-four hours with the Tsukishima Clan and neither side was winning. No one was gaining ground - my people refused to allow them any closer to our palace than they had already gotten - and everyone was exhausted.

My bloodlust was fading while fatigue and a persistent ache crept into my muscles. I had a moment to look around and I took it. All around Kage no Ryōiki people were battling. In the few seconds I had to look around I saw four opposing soldiers fall and two of my own. Blood saturated the ground and the stench of death permeated the air. My once beautiful realm was turning into the tomb of hundreds of people.

My thoughts were pulled back to the scene at hand when I heard a heart stopping roar errupt in the sky. I looked up in time to see Tamako close her gaping maw, terminating her magnificent display of blue fire.

Her translucent pale blue wings and saphire scales temporarily blocked out the already fading sunlight as she passed overhead. I saw her blood red eye glaring at the armies below her and what seemed to be a smile.

'You've woken me up, Hime-sama,' She purred.

I couldn't help the grin that fell on my lips. 'Maybe that was the plan,' I responded teasingly. She sent me a feeling of amusement before spewing out more flames.

In actuality, I felt sorry for the opposing army. She had eggs in her nest on top of the South Mountain to look after, and she didn't appreciate being pulled from them.

Well, it's too late now, I told myself.

I was approached by a group of Tsukishima soldiers at that moment. I lifted my glittering black blade high in defense as the first swung at me.

The leader of the group was wearing a black uniform with red trim, his red hood pulled away from his head. His underlings were wearing the standard black leather uniforms of their people.

I looked into his eyes and they were dead. Someone else was controlling these men.

The four remaining soldiers had formed a semi circle behind me. Their mouths were moving but I heard nothing. I suddenly realized, I could not hear anything. Panic bloomed in my chest. I fought to push it down as it wouldn't help me now.

The ground beneath my feet pitched and I landed hard on my back dropping my sword, but the soldiers didn't seem fazed at all, they just continued their silent chant without taking their eyes off of me. The ground continued shaking under my back unrelentlesly. I wanted to close my eyes against the dizziness I was beginning to feel, but I knew if I looked away from them I would be attacked.

All at once my hearing came back. I heard people shouting for me, crying my name. "Kyiomi! Hime-sama!"

I couldn't find my tongue so I tried for my blade instead. I had almost reached it when a shined black boot stepped hard on my wrist. I gritted my teeth against the groan threatening to escape. The man was unhappy with this, causing him to apply more pressure. He was rewarded with the snap of my wrist. I couldn't help but cry out this time.

A new man was suddenly kneeling at my side with a smirk on his lips. His uniform was the opposite of the leader, with a black trim on red. He pushed the foot off my wrist "Now now Garreth, play nice with the little princess." The last word was sneered.

I scoweled as he caressed my cheek. Using my left unbroken wrist I hit his hand away.

A soldier jumped forward and pinned my wrist to the ground while the man in red clicked his tongue. "I love it when they fight," he murmured.

"You're sick," I spat between clenched teeth. He said nothing in response but he locked his gaze with mine.

His eyes never left mine when he said, "Open the portal, there's nothing here for us anymore."