Chapter 6

"Kyiomi-sama? Is everything alright?" I raised my head long enough to see an older man with greying, shoulder length hair standing a few feet away. He wasn't dressed in servant robes, so I wasn't sure what he was doing wandering outside this late at night.

"No." I stated simply.

"What can I do to help you?" My anger flared at his question.

"I don't know, what can you do? Can you bring back this person that everyone is looking for? Can you make me remember my life?" I snapped. He flinched and looked away. I instantly regretted my words.

"I... I apologize. That was out of line." He turned towards me again.

"Kyiomi-sama, no one is blaming you for how you feel. We know it must be hard, and we want to help you however we can." He had a serious and determined look on his face. I didn't have the heart to tell him that I didn't believe there was a way to help me, not after Kari. I chose to instead stay quiet.

He bowed, sighed almost inaudibly and murmured "Excuse me." I nodded.

At this point in time, my mind was entirely clear from the haze of the night and I was thinking more clearly. The annoyance and frustration I had become accustomed to in the past day or so settled back in its place. It was like a deep, dark cloud shrouding my mind.

I stood up, brushing the grass from my clothes, and sauntered towards the manor. I took one last look at the night sky before entering.

As expected, there were two servant girls standing near the entrance. As soon as I had the door open they were bowing towards me. "Kyiomi-sama."

"Please, take me to Rukia's rooms." I wasn't sure why that's where I chose to go, but they didn't seem at all surprised at the request.

"This way, my lady," one murmured. I nodded and followed her down a series of halls, taking a mental note of where we went so I could find my way back on my own. When the girl - she did not look old enough to be called a woman - stopped in front of a closed door, I could only assume we were in front of Rukia's room.

She knelt before it and called out softly to the room's occupant. "Rukia-sama, there is someone to see you." After a few seconds had passed, I could here her moving around the room before the door slid open.

Rukia stood there, hair tousled and eyes clouded with sleep. They cleared as they landed on me. "Nee-san?"

"Sorry it's so late, Rukia," I mumbled, unable to look her in the eye. She blinked once and then grinned at me.

"You used to do this all the time. Come in." It was my turn to blink at her.

"I... I did? You must have gotten really tired of me." I could feel a blush creeping into my cheeks.

"Not at all," she laughed, still grinning. "Now, are you going to come in, or continue standing in the doorway?"

"Oh. Thank you." I tried to smile back. I guess it didn't work as well as I'd hoped, because she furrowed her brow.

"What's wrong, Nee-san?" She asked, closing the door. I chewed the inside of my lip, trying to figure out what to say.

"I don't know who I am, or who anyone else is. I don't know what to do," I gushed. She grabbed my hand and guided me to the bed, pulling me down beside her.

"I can't even imagine what you must be going through right now, but... I just want you to know that I'll do anything in my power to help you overcome this." She laid her head on my shoulder.

That was much like what the servant had said to me. But, why? Who was I that made these people care so much? Was it just because I was a princess? Or... did they truly just care?