twelfth part to grayson & alexa

Mary curls Alexa's straight hair. Clara insists on doing the makeup and Amy does her nails, hands and feet. Valentina runs around, talking to people, screaming for finishing touches to be made, and freaking out in general.

Much to Alexa's disappointment Lilly and Natalia arrive late with no excuse.

All the women eventually change into their gowns. The bridesmaids, all five of her sisters, sport a lavender, silk gown. It's flattering and simple.

Alexa scowls at Lilly, all the eldest sister has been doing is bad mouthing Grayson. Natalia giggles along with Lilly's childish behavior. "He is so far up his money, little Alexa. How can somebody so-so selfish possibly love you?"

Alexa doesn't understand why her sister suddenly hates her fiancé. Just yesterday Lilly was speaking all about Grayson and Alexa being a perfect match, but the tables have turned.

"Lilly, what exactly makes you resent Grayson?"

"He hates us," Natalia butts in. "We were tidying his home up a bit yesterday, pocketed a few useless things he was going to toss away already, and he goes bananas. He said we aren't welcome in your home without an invitation."

Internally, Alexa applauds Grayson for telling her sisters they must be invited to come to their home. Her family does not understand that just because they're family it doesn't mean you can barge into one another's homes. She finds it odd, and frankly, she'd like a private home for just her and her husband.

"He has a point." Gasps are spread throughout the room.

"Alexa Hayden!" All five sisters scold simultaneously.

Alexa grows the courage to face her sisters. They all look equally surprised. Nobody keeps their family away. "Grayson and I are going to be husband and wife. We need a life of our own, I need a life of my own."

Mary's eyes grow sad. "We always visit spontaneously. It's how we function as a family."

"Never once have I arrived at your homes, disrupting your lives, unannounced. All I ask is for the same."

"But-But--!"

Alexa stops listening to her sisters whining. She finds no point in letting them run her life if she isn't going to be happy.

➖✖➖

"It is now time for the vows." The priest is a fat ol' sucker. How beard reaches his knees and he smells of fish, but he's the only priest in town.

Grayson clears his throat. "Hello, Dollface. You look lovely. I didn't write my vows down because, frankly, I can't put what I feel into words. You're a shy woman who can't see the amount of beauty you possess. Men look when you walk by, I have to hold you closer, kiss your ring, to get them to look away. You-You bring s-so much--," Grayson stops speaking for a moment to clear his throat again, "happiness into the lives of the people that are lucky enough to know you. I cannot imagine a life without you in it. And I do not want to. Join me, Dollface, for the best life a man can give you."

Alexa blinks up at the man she's fallen in love with so quickly. She does not want to cry, fearing all the hard work her sisters put into her makeup will go to waste. So instead she intertwines her left hand with his right hand.

"You're so incredibly sweet, Grayson Ryker. You try your hardest to spend time with me, even if it is just for the short hour of your lunch break. You tell me you love me before you leave me, even if it's just to get a glass of water. You explain to me everyday that me being a child's foot is the best news a man can get, even if I know you fear the day I come home from the clinic announcing the newest arrival to our family. My goodness, Grayson Ryker, if I had to choose between one last breath or getting to kiss you just once before I die, I am going to kiss you so hard we both pass out." The causes a ripple of laughter from the guests. "You sure can bet on one thing, my love, I will join you for the best life a man can give: only as long as I can give you the best life a woman can give."

No one speaks. Not even the fat, smelly priest utters a single word. The fire, the passion between these two stuns every single being in the room. Alexa's breathing is heavy, her nerves getting the best of her. She thinks she said something wrong. But the a little over one hundred people invited to witness the murging of two people in love burst into cheers.

The priest has them repeat his words. Both adults repeat him word for word, the air becoming thick around them at the thought that they're almost done. They're almost married.

"I now pronounce you--."

Grayson cannot wait for the priest to finish. He just had to kiss Alexa. So he does it. Grayson grabs the back of Alexa's head and plants a passionate kiss on her lips. Another round of cheers come from the audience.

"--husband and wife. You may now-- oh forget it."

Grayson and Alexa, hand and hand, walk down the aisle that leads to their backyard. Guests follow the couple. A makeshift dance floor and a DJ are outside. A buffet lays out.

"Ladies and gentlemen!" The DJ announces. "The first dance of the night goes to Mister and Missus Grayson Ryker."

Alexa almost faints with happiness.