seventeenth part to grayson & alexa

Alexa isn't ready to announce to her family the expected child. Mary and Clara, both just entering their second trimester, are still the talk of the family and Alexa isn't ready to take her spot.

Grayson grabs her hand, a smile that never seems to go away these days on his face, and squeezes softly. "C'mon, Dollface. Your Mother is waiting for us."

The bumpy ride to the Hayden household didn't last long. Knots formed in the pit of Alexa's stomach. Not only was she nervous, but she's also very nauseous.

"I have come to resent Sunday dinners."

Her husband assures her they aren't all that bad. The two stroll into the very much alive home. Valentina and Lilly run around, giving finishing touches for the late dinner. Clara and Natalia coo over her growing stomach, all the while Mary sits back with her husband to play with her slightly active child. Amy speaks with her father animatedly at the dinner table. Grayson parts with Alexa after they exchange kisses.

"Alexa!" Mary squeals. She pulls herself from her husband and engulfs her little sister in a warm hug. The jealousy she's been experiencing lately rises like bile. Mary is glowing and excited to give life to her first child. Alexa is still in the phase which everything nauseates her. She wants to skip right to the pleasurable part. "You look so beautiful!"

Alexa looks down at her ruby red dress that reaches the floor and the red heels she managed to squeeze her feet into. "Thank you, Mary. You look equally, if not more, beautiful." She cups her big sister's face. "And this pregnancy suits you well."

The other sisters greet Alexa with equal enthusiasm, glad their sister hasn't parted completely from the rest of the family. It's no secret the youngest Hayden sister wants to become more independent, and they feel it's only a matter of time before she cuts away from the family completely.

Valentina Hayden calls for her big, big family to gather at the dinner table. As the sun goes down and everyone piles food onto their plates, Alexa can't help but gag at half of what's being served. The stench alone of the roasted chicken makes her stomach roll.

"Grayson," Alexa hisses, "Grayson." He looks over at her, worried. "Would you please buy me some strawberries?"

"Dollface," he sighs, trying to keep his voice down, "they're out of season. How about cranberries. They're very much in season."

Unexpected, to both Grayson and Alexa, tears blossom in her big blue eyes. She manages to wipe her tears away unnoticed by her family. "I just really, really want strawberries." Her bottom lip quivers as she tries to hold back her tears. Everyone eats and chats loudly, except for the Rykers, they seem to be having a conversation of their own in everyone else's eyes. "Maybe Clara--."

"You called?" Clara says from across the dining table. Alexa turns to her sister with a sheepish smile.

"You don't happen to still have strawberries, do you?"

Clara's eyebrows furrow. She counts on her fingers for a moment before shaking her head no. "I'm sorry, Alexa. It's almost thanksgiving and I used the last berries to make my jam." The youngest sister nods her head in acceptance. But Grayson will have none of her disappointment.

"Excuse me, Mister Hayden?" Timothy looks up from his heartily full plate to his son-in-law. "May I use your telephone?" Timothy shrugs and digs back into his plate. Valentina elbows him, murmuring to be polite. Once again he shrugs.

Everyone, minus Timothy, and Lilly's children, watch the handsome Grayson dial a number. Alexa's cheeks blush a pale pink at the scrutiny from her older sisters. Natalia and Lilly still are not fond of Grayson Ryker. 

His phonecall is kept quick and with minimal wording. Grayson finds himself back at the table in about a minute. All is quiet, until ten minutes later when someone knocks on the door. Grayson, once again, excuses himself.

"What could he possibly be doing?" Valentina questions Alexa. Her youngest daughter shrugs her shoulders, but even the blindest of persons can tell she's just as curious as everyone else.

Grayson returns. In hand is a weaved basket with a white cloth covering the contents. He sets the basket on Alexa's lap, then proceeds to eat without a word. Alexa removes the white cloth to reveal small strawberries. Her heart skips a beat.

"Oh my," Clara gasps, "look at all those berries. How did you get such? They're out of season!"

"A man who works miles away owes me a few favors."

Alexa kisses her husband flat on the lips.