Chapter Twelve: Girl Meets Dearly Beloved

Once again, I found myself staring at my reflection in the mirror. And yet, it was a different person than the one from last week. This one was dressed in black, her face sunken and stained with tears.

I wish my friends were here.

That was my main thought. Yeah, my dad was here, but I still felt like I was facing it alone. I didn't want the sympathetic looks or the sincerest condolences. I wanted Maya, making fun of Lucas while Riley and Farkle stood by, silently laughing.

"You ready, Skipper?" Dad asked, leaning against the doorframe like Lucas had previously. I sighed.

"Ready as I can be, I guess." We got in the car, heading to the cemetery. Dad and I were placed at the front of the pack of mourners, and I averted my eyes to the ground.

"Dearly Beloved. We are gathered here today to mourn the most tragic loss of Dianna Jackson. She was a friend, a mother, and a teacher to all. Those who knew her always left her company knowing something new about themselves. She was a light in the darkness that is this life." My dad nudged me. I looked up at him and he nodded to the side. I looked up to see four figures walking towards us.

"I figured, you could use some pretty great friends right now." He whispered. I smiled at him, taking off running towards them. The minister stopped and everyone watched as I ran up to Farkle, wrapping my arms around his neck.

"I'm so glad you're here." I whispered. He nodded, pulling away.

"Your Dad called me. He said you could use a friend, or three." Lucas said. I hugged him too, dragging them back and the minister continued the service. Through the whole thing, Farkle never let go of my hand once.

And finally, for the first time since I got here...I didn't feel so alone.

"The daughter of the deceased will now deliver the eulogy." I let go of Farkle's hand, walking up to the front.

"Sorry for running off earlier. My friends decided to show up when I need them the most. As I'm sure most of you know, I've moved to New York, and...I now realize what my mother must've been to many of you here today. My mom was...joyful, like my friend Riley. She knew how to see the joy in any situation." The mourners nodded in agreement. "And, she was tough, like Maya. She fought her hardest to the bitter end. Like Lucas, she would do anything to help out the people closest to her. And lastly...like Farkle...she knew who she was, and she wore it proudly. Mom contained all of the best qualities of the best friends I have ever known. A wise man once said, 'The point is...each individual brings an amazing quality to the group, that helps make each person better. You are going to teach them how to hang onto each of those qualities, even when the others aren't around'. My mother is gone, and it truly is the most tragic of losses. However, because of what she taught us...we're going to be able to hang onto the amazing qualities we gained from her, even when she's not around anymore. Thank you." They all clapped.

~~~

Once the funeral had ended, my father and I stood by as the mourners came to talk to us. Mrs. Benson, our neighbor, came up to me.

"You're just like her, you know." She said. I smiled.

"Thank you."

"I was talking to your friends dear, and they all said the same thing. What your mother did for so many people? You are doing that for them."

"You know, you're the second person to tell me that."

"Keep it up, darling. Chin up." I nodded.

"Yes, Ma'am." She left and I turned to my dad.

"You know...I was gonna request that you move back, but...after seeing how much you love your friends...I don't think I could."

"You could come with me." I suggested.

"What?"

"Yeah! We could get an apartment! I really want you to see New York, Dad." He smiled sadly.

"Maybe someday. But not just yet. There are a lot of people around here that still need some help moving on." I raised an eyebrows.

"Who's gonna help you?"

"What?" He asked.

"Who's gonna help you move on?" When he didn't respond, I sighed. "I'm staying, Dad."

"I can't ask you to do that, Skip-"

"Dad...just for a little while. You want to help people, but someone's gotta help you. I'm staying."

"So this is goodbye then?" Farkle asked. I turned, facing my friends.

"No, not goodbye. More like...until next time. I just wanted to say how much it meant that you guys came. You wanna go eat with us?"

"Nah. We gotta be getting back." Lucas said.

"Ah, oh well. I'll see you guys...sometime."

"Yeah...see you sometime." I hugged them all and they left, and I realized something.

I must  be more like Mr. Matthews than I thought, because I taught myself a lesson without even realizing it.