Chapter Sixteen: Girl Meets Conflict

I had just laced up my red converse shoes when I got a text from Maya

Hey. I'm heading to Riley's to wake her up, thought I'd call for reinforcements.

Ha, lol. Sure thing. Meet you there?

Yup. See ya.

Bye.

While I was closer to the boys, my relationship with Maya and Riley was slowly growing stronger. It was amazing. I've never really had girl friends before, so it's definitely a new experience.

~~~

When we met in Riley's yard, we climbed through the bay window to find Riley, wide-awake, her blanket pulled up to her chin. She looked up at us.

"Cough, Cough. Sniffle."

"That was real convincing, Riles." I told her.

"You can't be sick, I don't know how to do this life thing alone, and Skipper is too put together for my understanding." Maya added.

"I think I have the Foo-Foo Plague." I smiled and rolled my eyes.

"You do? And what do you take for that?"

"Foo-Foo medicine, and it makes you reeeeallly sleepy. Night, night. Bye." She hid her head under her blanket.

"Ok, so I'm looking up your fake disease on the fake internet." Maya said.

"Can I have a sick day, please?"

"It wants to know if you have a crushing weight on your chest." I said, sharing a look with Maya. "Do you have a crushing weight?"

"Yup. Crushing weight. Yup, yup." We climbed up, both of us sitting on top of her."Oh no! Oh no! Guys, I really do! I have the foo-foos! It's like there's an elephant on my chest!"  

"Combined, we're at most, a labradoodle." Maya said, rolling off of her and pulling her blankets off of her head.

"You two have to get far far away from me. I don't want you to catch this."

"I know, that would be terrible." We both climbed into bed beside her and rubbed her face, rubbing it on our own. Maya rolled over her, laying on top of the both of us. Riley laughed."Ok, can we please go to school now and get out of Rileytown?"  Riley's smile fell. "What? I just said, can we get out of Rileytow-" Riley shoved her hard off the bed.

"Riley!" I scolded.

"What is it with you? That's just a word I made up."

"I know what it means. It means that I'm goofy and silly and weird." She said, looking rather upset.

"It means you're unique." Maya told her.

"I don't want to be unique. I don't want anybody to notice me."