Chapter Twenty: Girl Meets Texan Skipper and the Master of Tombstone

So here we were, back in Texas. I was thrilled because my friends were here and...it wasn't for a funeral. There was so much I want to show them.

I was currently in my bedroom, looking for some clothes Maya and Riley could borrow. I had already changed into my favorite Jeans, a white long-sleeved top with a brown button up over it, and my plain cowboy boots.

 I had already changed into my favorite Jeans, a white long-sleeved top with a brown button up over it, and my plain cowboy boots

"Is this your mom?" I turned to see Maya, holding a picture frame. I walked over to look at the picture. I smiled and nodded.

"Yeah. I had just gotten a camera for my birthday. She insisted we have a photoshoot." I explained, walking back to the closet.

"I bet you miss her." Riley said. I nodded.

"All the time. But I'm ok now, really." I assured them, pulling out a top.

"Where is your dad?" I paused for a second, biting my lip.

"He's uh...just out, with some friends. He'll be back eventually." I lied. "Ok, here you go, have your choice of boots, I've got several pairs, and you can just change in your room at Pappy Joe's."

"Sounds like a plan." Maya agreed. We headed back to the house, and they went back to change.  I flopped down on the couch beside Lucas.

"Texan Skipper is back. How does it feel?" He asked.

"Amazing. Remind me to take this stuff with me when I go back." I put my white Stetson on and straightened it out when my boyfriend came in.

"Man, I look good in my 'Welcome to Texas,' Billy Buckaroo cowboy hat." I turned around to see him wearing a tiny straw hat with a red star on it. I laughed, standing up and taking it off him.

"That's ain't a hat, that's a teacup." Pappy Joe told him. I threw it aside and grabbed a black one off of the hat rack, putting it on his head.

"How's it look?" He asked.

"Not bad. Really good, actually." I told him. He looked adorable. He wrapped an arm around my waist. "Welcome home." The door opened and Riley and Maya came in, in the close that I'd given them. Pappy Joe took his hat off.

"Well, look at you two little darlin's." I smiled.

"What can I say, Skipper's sense of style is incredible." Maya told them. "Quit lookin' at us Huckleberry."

"I'm sorry, Maya. You look...good." I narrowed my eyes at that weird exchange. I thought Riley and Lucas were a thing...not Lucas and Maya.

"Oh, thanks."

"Yeah, you both look good."

"So do you." Farkle told me quietly. I smiled at him.

"You know what this place needs? A bay window. A bay window right now." Riley sat on a stool by the window, and Maya sat on a random saddle that was there.