Chapter THIRTY: Girl Meets What Happens Next

"Skipper? Get the door, please!" I stomped down the stairs, opening the door to reveal Farkle.

"It's just Farkle."I called, stepping out onto the porch,shutting the door behind me.

"Riley is having a New Years party. Go  with me?" I bit my lip.

"I don't know. Are you going to tell Maya and Lucas about Riley."

"If need be. But as my girlfriend, I ask that you support me and trust that I'm doing the right thing." I thought about it for a moment. Farkle had been there to support me through all of this. But I wasn't sure about this.

"I want to, Farkle. I do. God knows you deserve it, but I just...I'm worried about what might happen."

"So am I. That's why I need you there." I stepped forward, grabbing his hands and pressing my lips gently to his.

"Ok. I'll go to the party." He gave me a small smile.

"Now...how do you feel about reading this book to me?"

"Surely a genius like yourself can understand Jane Austen."

"I get it. I'd just prefer that I get it in your voice." I smiled.

~~~

1. Friendship

2.Growth

3.Feelings

"We form friendship before we even know what friendship means. We just know 'Hey! I like this person'. We grow,b efore we even know what growth means. We just know, 'I see things differently now'. And finally, we feel. And do you know what we know from those feelings? Nothin'. We just feel. It's how we know we're alive.But you have to be careful with feelings. They can tear apart friendship and growth."

"Friends come first, and growth is knowing that your friends' happiness comes before your own." Riley told her father.

"That's nuts."

"You tell her, Ham bone!" Farkle said.

"But Dad, you've always lived that way."

"Not always, Riley. I didn't used to. But, I learned the way you're learning now. Every event in history comes from people feeling something and then acting on those feelings or sometimes being smart enough not to. That's how you grow."

"Is that on the test, sir?"

"It is."

"When is the test, sir?" Lucas asked.

"Every day." I answered.

"Right again, Skipper. Happy New Year, everyone."

~~~

"Do you give in to your feelings, or let your mind rule over your heart?" Harper questioned.

"I follow my heart. It gets me into trouble."

"What about you Riley?" Farkle asked.

"My mind tells me to do what's right."

"Can anyone answer which is more valuable to follow?"

"It depends on the situation." Lucas told her.

"No, it doesn't."

"Just taking a shot!"

"Very passionate." Harper told him.

"Thank you!"

"And that's wherewe run into trouble."