Chapter 1 - Goodbye.

Chapter 1 – Goodbye

Beck's POV

"You're leaving," Lucy's hesitant voice sounds from the opening of the cave, her words more a statement than a question, and I pause in the act of stuffing my last pair of jeans into my black backpack.

There's a hole forming on the left knee of them, seemingly growing in size with every day that passes, and I really need to look into finding a new pair.

I turn around to face her with a sigh, my jeans still partially hanging from my bag, and wince.

She's wearing her usual jeans and checked shirt combo, her black battered converse looking muddy and worn and her hair catching slightly in the breeze. I can't help the way my pulse jumps at the sight of her before my heart suddenly sinks all the way down to my toes.

She's not mine... and she never will be.

"Yeah," I reply with another sigh, turning back to my bag to shove my jeans the rest of the way inside before reaching for one of the T-shirt's waiting to be packed.

I had been hoping that I could take off without her knowing, as selfish as that might be. I guess I should've known it wouldn't be that easy.

Things have been weird between us for two weeks now, ever since Lucy and Justin's ceremony, but I know that there's nothing that either one of us can do to make it any better... which is why I've decided to take off. I need some space away from her... to help me get over her because it's becoming pretty clear that I can't do that with her around. I need to get over her, though, and as fast as possible because this, whatever this is, is not healthy.

I've been thinking of running for a few days now, and it was only last night that I made the definite decision to go through with it, but Lucy's always been good at reading me which is why she's decided to come and check on me. I'm usually very good at hiding emotions as I was brought up being told that they were only a sign of weakness, but Lucy's the one exception. Even when I don't want to let her in, she seems to understand exactly what's running through my mind. She can read me like a book and, I'm not going to lie, it's absolutely terrifying.

Actually, speaking of books...

I turn towards my small bookshelf and pick up my three favourite books before packing them in my bag on top of the clothes.

I don't own a lot, I never really have, so packing is always pretty easy for me. Over the years I've created a list of what I view as essential belongings to take and I quickly run through it in my head now as I look around the cave, avoiding looking at Lucy as I do so.

Clothes.

Check.

Books.

Check.

Emergency money stash.

Check.

Food.

Check.

Photographs.

Check.

Deodorant.

Check.

Shampoo.

Not check. I should probably pack some as I don't know how long I'll be on the road for. It could be a while before I find somewhere to steal some from.

"Where are you going?" Lucy asks, still standing at the cave's entrance as she watches me grab the shampoo off the shelf. There's not much left but it'll have to do until I can get my hands on some more.