Chapter 8 - No it's not.

Chapter 8 – No it's not.

Alexa's POV

After Beck leaves I make my way back into the kitchen, already prepared for the foul mood of my sixteen year old brother. He seems to be stuck in his rebellious teen stage and I can't help but roll my eyes when I see he's still sulking about the fact he has to do the dishes.

"This is all your fault," he grumbles, scrubbing a plate in the sink with the brush and glaring at me.

"How is it?" I ask, raising an eyebrow as I pick up a towel and get to drying. "You threw the carrot at me, dude."

"Whatever," he says, still clearly pissed off. "It's still your fault."

Wow, what wonderful logic and reasoning.

Right then, mum walks back into the kitchen, most likely to check to see if we're actually doing the dishes.

"He seems nice," she eventually comments when she's satisfied with our work, and it doesn't take a genius to figure out that she's not talking about Dylan. She's clearly trying to fish for more dirt on Beck... not that anyone in this town seems to have any to begin with. Beck is clearly a guy who likes to keep his story to himself and, surprisingly enough, he seems to be doing a good job of it so far... no thanks to my parents constant prying throughout dinner.

"Yeah, he's alright," I agree with a small shrug, opening the cupboard by my knees to put the clean plates away. "I don't really know all that much about him."

It's true, I don't... other than what my parents uncovered at dinner and the fact that he's clearly running from a broken heart, although my mother really doesn't need to know that part. What was her name...Lilly? Lucy? That's it. I'm pretty sure it was Lucy.

"How long is he staying for? He's got a job at the pub so he must be planning on staying a while, right?" she asks.

"I don't know," I reply. "He's staying for as long as he's staying for. I'm just happy I get to share the workload with him until Jenny gets back."

"Does Jenny know he's staying at her old place?" Dylan asks, passing the next plate to me.

"Yeah," I reply, quickly drying the plate and putting it in the cupboard.

I passed the idea over to my boss after Beck's first shift at the pub, and I told her that he seemed pretty switched on and knew what he was doing. She told me that she'd trust my judgement until she and Stuart get back and then she'll talk to Beck herself.

That's if he even sticks around for that long.

Once all the dishes are clean and put away, Dylan and I both split ways and leave the kitchen. Mum left a little while ago to join the others watching TV, and that seems to be where Dylan is headed as well, but I choose to just go upstairs to my room.

I'm tired and, right now, there's nothing more I want than some peace and quiet away from my family. I love them all to bits but they can be quite a handful sometimes.

After my shift this afternoon I spent the rest of the day entertaining the twins and

Layla. The three of them have an extreme obsession with my hair and I lost count of the amount of different hairstyles I ended up wearing today. I'm not going to lie... they all looked awful. Luckily, I managed to get my hair back to normal before Beck showed up.

Speaking of Beck and family, my mind wanders back to earlier when mum decided to pry too deep into his life. He'd said it was just him... meaning he's on his own. So he has no family? I wonder what happened there... did they disown him or something? Why? What could he have possibly done to warrant that? Or maybe that wasn't the case, at all... maybe something else happened.