Chapter 5 - There is no Prince Charming.

Chapter 5 – There is no Prince Charming.

Alexa's POV

"Goodnight, Alex," Finn calls out as he pushes the door open, the slight draft from the cool night air blowing in and settling over my bare arms as I finish wiping down the bar.

As usual, he's the very last customer to leave after reassuring him for a full ten minutes that I'll be fine on my own. It's no secret that the guy has been crushing on me for a while now but I've completely run out of ideas on how to show him just how uninterested I am. Don't get me wrong, he's not bad to look at and he's a really great guy, I'd just never go there.

"Night, Finn," I reply, unable to stop my eyes from rolling on their own accord as the door swings shut behind him.

For the past hour all I've had to listen to was Finn dropping a bunch of not-so-subtle hints that he wants to take me to go see this new film that's playing in the cinema next week. I can't remember what it's called but it's supposedly this new horror that's apparently amazing, and there's not a single person in this tiny-ass town that doesn't know I'm a horror film fanatic. It's kind of annoying, actually. In Redwater Pine everyone knows everything about everyone, which gets pretty old pretty fast when there's nothing new to learn about each other, especially when it comes to dating.

Anyway, the film sounds pretty decent and I've wanted to watch it since I first saw it advertised last month, not that I'm going to tell Finn that. I was planning on going to see it with my best friend Darcy but after hearing about the trailer for it none stop for an entire hour let's just say I'm not as psyched to see it anymore.

Once I've finished wiping down the bar I quickly make my way into the pub's small kitchen over to the left side of the room and drop the cloth in the sink. With the way this place is built the kitchen couldn't fit out back near the storage room by the stairs and so Jenny had to pay for a small extension to be added on the side. The toilets are on the opposite side of the pub and the main bar is in the middle; it's not very exciting, I know, but it could sure be a lot worse.

My next and final order of business for the night is to quickly lock up before going home. Jenny and her husband, Stuart, are in America for a month visiting family and she left the job of locking up to me because apparently I'm the most trustworthy of her three employees.

I'd agree with that but, then again, I am pretty biased.

I guess I'm also the most obvious of choices as Bruce, our chef, finishes his shift at nine and Jodie, our afternoon waitress, finishes at four. I'm the only one that has to stick it out until eleven every night, although I do also start work later than the both of them. As far as staff go, we're pretty stretched to our limits, but it's not so bad when Jenny and Stuart are here to help out as well. They take it in turns to take the early and late shift so I normally have at least one other person with me behind the bar. It's not so great when they're not here, though, although it hopefully won't be so bad now that Beck's agreed to help out.

I still need to run it past Jenny but I'm sure she'll be okay with it, and even if she's not then after the two week trial I can tell him it's not going to work and he can find somewhere else to go. Jenny has been trying to look for someone who's willing to work for dirt cheap because, frankly, she's not got the money to fork out wages. My no rent for no wages deal is pretty great, if I do say so myself.

I don't need to lock the back door tonight, what with Beck being upstairs, so instead I lock the door to the storage room. Seeing as Jenny and Stuart used to live here, there are locks on every door as they quite often forgot to lock the back door after themselves after getting back from a meal or movie. I wasn't working here at the time but Jenny briefly explained to me why there were so many keys when I first started here. To keep their money and pub safe, they instead used to lock the storage room and the door connecting the back hallway to the bar as soon as the place closed, as I'm just about to do.