Chapter 7

Raoul flung the lantern about his person, willing the light to stretch further than it would travel in the oppressing darkness. The voice was familiar to him but the abnormality of their meeting place and his agitation didn't allow him to remember the owner.

"Who are you? Reveal yourself!" He demanded, his voice shaking along with his hands. At that moment, a match was struck behind him and he whirled, only to see a lantern being lit. As the flame grew, he staggered backwards and gasped, his eyes widening at the sight before him.

The light colored his former maid's face in a very peculiar manner, causing her to appear almost deathlike with golden glowing eyes. An effect that left him short of breath as he reigned in his nervous-born terror.

"Candela!" His voice was relieved but not for long. As soon as the shock of her appearance wore off, it seemed to dawn in his eyes that she was here, below the Opera House, where she shouldn't have been. "Candela, what are you doing here?" His tone turned demanding as he approached her, no longer afraid.

Said girl merely smiled at him before saying,

"I'm returning home. It should be I who asks you why you're here. On the lake which leads to my home. You are trespassing, Comte de Chagny."

"I..." His mouth hung open as he watched the girl fluidly glided past him and set her baskets and parcels into the boat as if it were an everyday occurrence. "I asked my question first." Candela shrugged her shoulders and rolled her eyes before turning back to the young nobleman.

"I live here. This is the Phantom's and my home." The baffled and bewildered look in the young man's eyes was quite worth the little chuckle that escaped the maid.

"But....but...you said you were the servant to eccentric elderly gentleman!" Raoul felt quite lost as he watched his former maid calmly tell him that she was living with the Phantom after having been under the impression she had found a respectable position.

"I am. I am the cook, housekeeper, maid, and butler to the Opera Ghost. When you threw me out of your home without so much as a recommendation, I found my way down here by accident and installed myself in those positions." Hanging the lantern on the front of the boat, she paused, waiting for a response from the stunned Comte.

"You're...his...m-maid?" The reply required no counter except for a curt nod and it was several moments before the Comte was able to resume speaking. At first, he thought she could easily be a replacement for Christine, another innocent girl that the Ghost was holding prisoner, perhaps even to sate his own lust. The thought made the supper Raoul had consumed some hours before departing rise into his throat. But after one look at her, one could tell she was neither abused nor under a spell. Her manners were sharp and her eyes clear.

The girl was content in her place, whatever else it might be aside from the Phantom's servant.

"I came to speak to Phantom. About...about...Christine." He glanced down and trailed off as he arrived at the name of his darling wife. Hope did bloom in his chest as he thought the discussion might go better if there was a third and calmer person between them. He was under no illusions as to the Ghost's opinion of him.

"What has happened to her?" Candela turned once more to face him and tried to keep her voice uninterested but one couldn't help but pity the young Comtesse and Candela's curiosity wouldn't dissipate until she knew the condition of the girl.

"She has been in a drugged sleep for these past few weeks. Her mental and physical health is waning quickly due to nightmares and inexpressible terror while she is awake. I was hoping that...that he might help her..." Raoul felt his energy drain from his body as his hope once again plummeted. He had nothing to bribe the Ghost with and it seemed he had moved on from Christine. Moved on enough no to die.