Chapter 12

Author's Note:

Dear Readers,

This installment of Spanish Angel has been brought to you by the power of Celtic music, quiet, darkness and my weird, after-nightfall imagination. I trust you will enjoy! And, yes, I do kinda have a plot here....kinda.........

sarahlet2999

P.S. I have imagined the managers very much like they are in the 2004 movie. Honestly, I loved them in that movie. So, in a book-based fanfic, I have brought them over.

----------------------------------------

Chapter 12:

Annoying as it was, Candela hardly believed the Ghost's final statement was just that, final. He would need something more than his music when the second woman in his life abandoned him for another. She would make sure he was set for life before she would even consider marrying the Marquis as that was no doubt his intention.

She would secure the Phantom and then herself.

Tugging lightly on her gloves, she twisted her fingers together and watched as a puff of air turned to fog in front of her mouth. That one though lingering in her mind, she boldly strolled up one of the two sprawling staircases of the Paris Opera House and in through one of the large doors.

Presented with her own lack of familiarity with the massive structure, she consulted the first person she found, a bubbly ballet rat.

"Pardon me, would you direct me to the managers' office, please?" In her false persona as a middle-class woman, Candela garnered respect from those of the lower classes, and the ballet girl was no exception.

"Of course, Mademoiselle. Follow me!" The girl's blond curls danced as she hopped her way down a hall, lighter on her feet than Candela could ever wish to be. The thought brought a touch of amusement to the Spaniard's face as she hurried after the light foot girl. After several passageways and even a set of stairs, the ballerina came to a stop before a simple door and softly knocked on the wood.

"Monsieur Firmin. Monsieur Andre. A lady to see you." At the quiet call of "come in", the girl opened the door and stepped back to allow Candela inside the plain offices of the managers. Two desks sat against opposite walls, one covered in papers, scores, and books while the other was nearly bare save for a pitcher of water and a glass. The whole room appeared to be in a state of packing as several boxes lay around and the walls were only half decorated, only those odds and ends which would remain when they left still hanging on the walls.

Two men stood near the solitary window and turned to face her when she walked through the door, holding her head high.

"Good afternoon, Señors." She addressed them politely, giving each of them a friendly smile. "I have come to ask you about your advertisement in the paper." Each of them looked confused and then surprised in turn and, before addressing her, spoke to the girl behind them,

"Thank you, Ms. Giry. You may go." The blond bobbed her head and pranced away, closing the door behind her.

"Now, Mademoiselle, I am Monsieur Firmin and this is my co-manager, Monsieur Andre and you have come about the position of manager?" Candela nodded.

"Yes, I have."

"You! A woman!" They joined together in a hearty laugh and the sound only hushed at her deep frown.

"Very comical." Candela remarked dryly, removing her gloves and tucking them into her reticule as the last chuckles slowly died away, leaving merely insulting smiles. When they were quiet enough for her to speak and not yell, she continued, "I have no come for myself but for a friend who is currently unavailable but might consider the position. Would you be willing to answer some of my questions?"