Chapter 13

Chapter 13:

"Thank you, Señor. This was a lovely lunch." Candela said as she lifted her napkin from her lap and laid it next to the plate after wiping the edges of her mouth.

"Think nothing of it, my dear. Are you ready? I shouldn't like to be late for my appointment with your uncle. I am afraid tardiness wouldn't leave a good first impression." Despite having lived two scores on the earth, the Marquis found himself feeling like a nervous youth.

A good impression was imperative.

The maid giggled and stood up, scraping the chair against the marble floor.

"You have a point there. It would hardly commend you in his eyes." A happy smile teased at the corners of her eyes as the Marquis disappeared for a moment to pay for the meal. Smoothing the silk of her lavender gown, Candela calmed her nerves and convinced herself to ignore the feelings of unease about the finality of his consulting her uncle.

Their relationship would be considered a proper courtship in the eyes of everyone. To break it would require some great breach of promise or etiquette. In a year, he would propose, in two, she would be a married woman, a Marqesse.

Candela Valentina, the Marquesse de Bonnaire. It did sound nice even if it was lengthy.

"Ready, Candela?" He asked as he took on of her gloved hands in both of his.

"Yes, I'm ready." Giving him a kindly smile, she followed him out of the small café and up to the cab that was waiting for them. After helping her into the carriage, the Marquis boarded and gave directions to the cabby before settling back and tapping his fingers against the silver top of his cane.

"You said your uncle's name is Nadir Khan, correct?" Candela nodded. "And, he's Persian?"

"Yes. You see, my mother had a sister who eloped with a sea captain. When he died in Persia, my aunt was left all alone and met Uncle Nadir. They were married and when things became too uncomfortable for my uncle, they moved back to Spain. My aunt died a few years before my mother and, once they both had passed, Uncle Nadir decided to bring me here to Paris." The statement was one of her larger deceptions but she considered it a necessity. Besides, wasn't it just a little close to the truth? Nadir had left Persia when things had become too dangerous for him. He just hadn't been married to her non-existent aunt.

"I see." Jules remarked, tossing the ideas around in his head. His bride of choice certainly had an unusual family. No father, a dead mother, and living with an uncle. But, he considered it was quite befitting of the odd girl that was Candela de la Vega. If her family had been normal, it would have been at odds with her peculiar personality.

"He's crotchety but I think you'll like him once you get to know him."

"I hope you're correct. After all, I hope to court and marry his niece." Grasping her hand, he lightly kissed the back of it and smiled up at her. The Spaniard giggled quietly and lightly touched the palm of her hand against his cheek.

"That is very sweet." He opened his mouth to respond to her but the carriage rolled to a stop before he could speak another word to her. Giving her hand one last kiss, he stepped out of the cab and helped her down the steps. After paying the cabby, the Marquis and Candela walked up the pair of steps to the door of the flat.

Sliding a key into the lock, Candela turned the knob and stepped into the dimly lit hallway.

"Darius!" She called out, as she closed the door behind the Marquis and shed her cloak onto the coat rack. Moments later, the Persian servant appeared and gave her a kindly smile as he helped the Marquis out of his coat and hat.