Chapter 17

Author's Note:

Dear Readers,

I REALLY REALLY want your feedback on this chapter. I'm introducing a new story line and I want to know what each and every one of you think. Hey, at least I think I know where I'm going from here! :).

And, you may notice I have dedicated this chapter to casuallllfollower. This is because she has been AMAZING with comments that always make me laugh and continued encouragement to keep going. Go check out her books and follow her. She's awesome!

sarahlet2999

P.S. Unless I have this gigantic idea, I'm probably going to be wrapping this book up in the next ten or fewer chapters. But, it's been a fun ride and the best is yet to come!

-----------------------------------

Chapter 17

"What sort of person is the Marquis's cousin?" Nadir inquired as their cab clattered across the cobblestone streets, five minutes to seven. "Is she a pleasant woman?"

"Oh, yes, I would say so. She's befriended me even though she knows everything." Candela smiled brightly at the thought of her lively red-headed friend. "She was married to an English Duke when she was very young, she's now in her thirties, but he passed away some years ago, leaving her a tidy fortune and a young son to raise by herself. I've only met the lad a few times but he seems sweet enough and lacking the haughty air of many noble born children."

For a single moment, Nadir's mind drifted back to his darling Rookheeya, the Duchess's widowhood reminding him of his own loss. The figure of Rookheeya danced in his mind for a moment and Reza smiled up at him before he carefully stored the memories away for another time.

It wouldn't do to become emotional around his soon to be "family."

"I can imagine it has been hard for her. Has she handled it well?"

"I'd say she's handled it quite well. She has a vivacity for living that is infectious. Devoted to her son, she also apparently likes to live on the edge of life, if given the chance. I would call her a forward thinker." Nadir chuckled to himself at the thought of this woman, already rebuilding his image of her.

"I believe you are right in saying I shall like her." Candela nodded and smiled before leaning forward and whispering,

"She knows everything. She hasn't told the Marquis but I wanted you to know." He opened his mouth to answer when the carriage rolled to a stop before the mansion, the driver hopping down to open the door. Nadir slipped out first, extending his hand to Candela to help her down. Leaning gently on his proffered hand, she hopped out, Nadir paying the cabby before they walked up to the door.

Before they could even knock, the door was opened and a red-head whirled out to meet them.

"Candela! You made it!" A flurry of blue skirts billowed around the Spaniard as her cheeks were lightly pressed by the Duchess's before the woman turned her attention towards Nadir, standing awkwardly off to one side, unsure how to handle this bundle of life.

"You must be her 'uncle' Nadir. It's a pleasure to meet you." Reine gave the Persian man a dazzling smile before she completely noticed him. Once she had, a faint blush rose on her cheeks. Her young friend hadn't told her how handsome her "uncle" was. Tall with dark hair and jade eyes – he resembled no one that she had ever met before.

"At your service, Madame." He took her offered hand and bowed low over it. "I am Nadir Khan."

"Marie Reine, Duchess of St. Albans."