Chapter 20

Author's Note:

Dear Readers,

Yes, I know by the end of this you will want to wring my and Erik's necks. Understandable. But, do be patience with him and me. I am drawing this book to a close (maybe another five chapters?) and we shall resolve everything. So, please enjoy and don't murder me for this!

sarahlet2999

-------------------------------------------

Chapter 20

Philippe Georges Marie, Comte de Chagny.

His name rang through the brain repeatedly as time stood still around her. The empty shadow that had always served as her father took on a shape, a perfectly defined shape.

"How?" She gasped out, groping about her for a moment as she tumbled into a chair. While she had always known that her father had been a nobleman, she had never imagined one so close to her.

"Twenty years ago, Philippe and I were traveling through Spain on a world trip, enjoying our resent wealth and freedom. We passed through the Isla and met your mother." Candela stared at him, desperate to hear every word from the man before her, head bowed and seemingly lost in his memories.

"I am not ashamed to say I loved her and would have happily married her. But, I was a plain sort of gentleman and Philippe was a charmer. I am not surprised she fell for him. I know he didn't give her his real name, probably explaining why she never told you. We left after a month, their relationship lasting no more than a few weeks, and he never knew he left her with a child." He sighed and glanced towards her. "He would have at least cared for her had he known. He might have hidden you but he wouldn't have abandoned you."

Shock had settled into the maid as she sat in her seat, hands clasp in her lap. Honestly, she didn't know what to think.

"Did he take me in because I looked like my mother?" She asked, peering up at the Marquis who, at that moment, appeared far older than his forty years.

"It is possible, but I can't be sure. You have almost no resemblance to him. Except perhaps for the nose. You do have the de Chagny nose." Candela instantly covered her face with a hand and ducked her head. Should she be proud of that fact? Should she be proud of her noble blood? It wouldn't change her life at all. She would return to beneath the Opera House and continue her position as maid.

"Thank you." Rising to her feet, she fiddled with her mask before tying it back onto her face. "I really should be going." I need time. She thought to herself as she headed towards the door.

"Wait!" He called out for the second time that evening. "You're just leaving?"

"I don't see why not." She paused and turned to face him. "This news is welcome and I am glad to know that I have a name for my father but it won't affect my life at all."

"Why not?" Jules narrowed his eyes in confusion and reached a hand towards her. "You are the true heiress to the de Chagny fortune! Don't you want to claim it?" Pursing her lips for a moment in thought, Candela shook her head.

"No, I don't. The Comte and Christine deserve it. I won't take it away from them. What need have I of money? I earn a delightful little sum, working for Senor Erik. I don't need to take from my uncle and aunt."

"Senor Erik? Oh, you did mention you work at the Opera House?" Apparently, in his state of shock and surprise, he hadn't heard her clearly when she spoke of her employment with the Opera Ghost. Perhaps it was a good thing. He wouldn't have to worry about her.