Chapter Thirty-Eight

Eventually we all managed to settle down for the night, after a small argument of who was sleeping where. Fang was adamant that I slept next to him and I was just as adamant the world would come to an end first. Finally, we settled with Bubbles laying stiffly between us with everyone fully dressed. No nudie sleeping for fang boy tonight.

It was actually quite cozy. If you could get past the horrific thoughts of what might actually be creeping under the sheets with you. Instead of visions of sugarplums dancing in my head, I had images of bedbugs, pubic hairs and things a shot of penicillin wouldn't clear up. Not even the thousand and one times Fang assured me that I could no longer catch human diseases helped ease my germaphobic mind. I mean, I wasn't at Howie Mandel levels with my irrational fears, but that didn't mean I volunteered to go skinny dipping in a cesspool either.

But, despite all my swearing I wouldn't sleep a wink, I ended up sawing logs like I was at a lumberjack competition. In fact, I had been sleeping so hard, it took me a while to come around and figure out there was a pillow being held over my face. You know that awesome feeling you get when you wake up in the morning and you're full of energy? Yea...well, that was me...only it wasn't remotely close to an awesome feeling and the only reason I was full of energy was to save my life.

"Die, bloodsucking spawn of Satan!" Courtanya hissed above me.

Not a wise move on her part, especially since I hadn't had my coffee yet. Grabbing her wrist, I tugged it hard and she flew over my head. Her little body sailing across the room with the greatest of ease. For a second, I had a twinge of guilt she might have been hurt, but it was only for a second and she landed softly enough when she bounced off the hideously upholstered recliner in the corner.

"What the hell is the matter with you?" I growled, sitting up and throwing what was left of the pillow at her as she picked herself up off the floor. I was pretty sure I had feathers in my mouth and that was as close to kissing a chicken butt I had ever wanted to come. So much for my theory she had turned over a new leaf when it came to trying attempted murder. I swear, the girl had more personalities than Sybil and was impossible to try and figure out.

She brushed her bangs out of her eyes and grinned at me. Actually grinned! I shook my head in disgust and got out of bed. "Damn morning people," I grumbled as I rubbed the last of the sleep off my face.

"Good evening, Red," Fang drawled, appearing out of the bathroom in nothing but a towel and a smile which gave me a bad case of jelly-legs and I quickly sat back down on the edge of the bed before my ass hit the floor.

Holy Moses on a pogo stick. The sight of him sent a shot of adrenaline through me faster than if I had chewed a handful of expresso beans and chased it down with a Red Bull. There was so much glorious, glistening skin to appreciate, I wasn't even sure where to begin. Too bad my inner hussy didn't have the same problem. She pulled my eyes straight down to his lines of Apollo. You know...that perfectly formed V that points down to the hidden treasure beneath the towel. I swear, his were so cut, you could have rolled marbles down them.

"The shower is free," he said, moving over to the mysterious brown bag he had brought in last night.

"At this point in time, I don't think showering is going to be enough. I'll need to be autoclaved to get the stank of this motel room off me," I muttered, watching his back muscles flex as he dug through the bag. I may not like mornings...or people...or morning people...but I sure as heck liked the way his ass looked under that towel. And since it was Sunday, I threw up a little prayer to the big man upstairs in thanks. Nobody could accuse me of not being a good Christian.

"Here," he said, turning to me and giving me a full fanged smile. "This will make you feel better."

He tossed me a small bundle and I caught it in mid-air. Sneaky vampire. He remembered the way to my heart in the morning was to come baring gifts or coffee. With excited glee, I held up clean undergarments. I had forgotten Mason had done some intimate apparel shopping, bless his little crazy ass heart. With my new fancy, lemon yellow bra and briefs tucked against my chest, I rifled through the rest. Holding up a black leather bustier type biker's vest and matching mini skirt. Okay...calling it a mini skirt was being generous. It was more like a strip of black leather the size of a Band-Aid.