Chapter Forty-Seven

I snapped my mouth shut, and the mournful wailing ceased, but my heart...yeah...it didn't get the memo to cease and to desist. I never understood how a body organ whose sole purpose was to pump blood throughout the body could have profound emotional reactions, but I just got schooled on the subject. A crash course of how much a heart can ache slammed full force into my chest, showing me exactly what a broken heart feels like. I am not going to lie, it wasn't pleasant people. In fact, it physically hurt, and made me clutch at my chest like I had just binge ate six pounds of deep-fried bacon, and chased it down with a gallon of mayo.

I didn't want to see him. What I wanted to do was turn and run as fast and as far as I could go. I didn't want to see the man...vampire...who had become to mean more to me than any sales at Macy's ever could...and that was saying something. I didn't want to see him grievously injured. I didn't want to see that arrow sticking out of his chest. But most importantly, I didn't want to watch him die.

No matter how much I didn't want to see any of it, my feet had a mind of their own, and slowly dragged me towards the gurney where Fang lay. I paid no attention to the group of silent huge ass vampires still hovering and watching my every move. I didn't even notice Bubbles crying softly behind me. I didn't see anything but him...and the arrow lodged in his chest. I wasn't great at anatomy and flunked out of biology, but I had played enough games of Operation to know...the arrow had struck his heart. If Fang had been Cavity Sam, his nose would be lit up like a stop light, and annoying buzzing sound would be filling the room instead of all this desolate silence.

His pristine mountain of a chest, the thing of beauty I had freely ogled time and time again, rose up and down in slow, erratic draws of breath, and was marred by a gigantic looking projectile protruding from it. The shaft of it black as night, but the feathers a bright, crimson red, matching the small amount of blood seeping around from where it disappeared into his body. I stared at it. I thought of how out of place it looked. How it invaded his gorgeous chest. How it didn't belong. And then...I got mad. Not just ticked, or pissed, or angry...I got downright infuriated with a rage unlike anything I had ever felt. It radiated out of me hotter than those 200 watt incandescent light bulbs. The glow from my eyes reflected on his olive skin, and I could feel my fangs come to life as a growl vibrated up from my chest and out of my mouth. A long snarling growl that probably would have put Dragos's to shame. All because of that fucking arrow.

Whirling around, I faced the group still lingering around me. Two of them I didn't recognize, but Sinclair...oh yeah...I sure as hell recognized him, and he was going to give me some answers or I was going to rearrange his handsome face to look like a Picasso.

"What happened?" I hissed, zeroing in on him.

"He was wounded in battle."

His dry tone...his vacant, expressionless face...his better than thou attitude, only added fuel to the fire burning inside me, and made me want to rip his ear off so I could cram it where his mouth was.

"No shit Sherlock!" I yelled. "Who shoots someone with an arrow in this day and age? Who was he fighting? Pocahontas!" If it was her, she was going to be painting the colors of the wind with her own blood.

The only indication he gave he was the least bit miffed at my outburst, was how far his perfectly groomed dark brow peaked on his forehead as he arched it at me. But I didn't care if he didn't appreciate me raising my voice at him. In fact, that eyebrow of his was about two seconds away from me gleefully removing it with a roll of duct tape. I was done taking the high road with these vamps. I was speeding down the slash-your-tires-and-punch-you-in-the-throat super highway.

There was no hiding this level of crazy, and I wasn't about to waste my time trying. Despite everything, seeing Fang lying unconscious and choking out each painful breath, the steady crying of Courtanya, and the continued stares of the vampires, a laser beam of pure undiluted desire was igniting inside me. Only this time, because I was so close to him, and could smell his blood...it was a million times stronger than ever before.