Chapter Fifty-Three

"He has been asking for you nonstop for the last few hours," Lucien stated, nodding his spiked noggin in the direction of where Dr. Kleinrosebroom rested. The Doc was considerably more sedate now that whatever Tallon had pumped into his IV took effect. I notice Lucien didn't step aside but kept watching me, his purple gaze probing.

Yeah, you heard me right, purple. Lucien's eyes looked like two glimmering chunks of amethyst, and all I could think of was...oooooo, pretty. What can I say? I'm a sucker for anything sparkly, and those two peepers of his glinted like a prism catching the sunlight. But just because he had a set of the most amazing eyes I had ever seen outside of Comic Con, didn't mean I was about to be BFF's with the dude. I had learned my lesson being around these vamps, and I trusted him about as far as I could throw him. Wait...that saying didn't apply anymore. I'm a vampire, chances are, I could probably chuck him pretty far, but you get my point. I didn't need to stick my hand in the fire twice to know I would get burned. Okay...well, technically, the second time I stuck my hand in the fire it was to retrieve my marshmallow. It was a bad day and my last chance at having a S'more. Don't judge me.

"Me? What would he want with me?" I asked, cautiously taking a step back. All eyes followed my every move as if I had toilet paper stuck to my shoe. Quickly, I glanced down just to make sure my boots were Charmin free.

"Yes, it is interesting," Sinclair mused, his face as stoic as stone. Judging by his manner, I didn't believe he found it the least bit fascinating.

"It would make sense," Saxon said. When all eyes turned to him, a blush crept into his cheeks turning his face the same color as his Flash Gordon T-shirt. "He created her after all, why wouldn't he want to see her?" He shuffled his feet, making me cringe when I noticed he was wearing cheap dad sneakers. You know the ones: faux white leather, always worn outside the gym and usually paired with light-wash, high-water jeans. Or...gasp...tube socks and shorty shorts! Many young teenage girls have had their innocence shattered by getting a glimpse of old man twig and berries peeking through a pair of nylon shorty shorts.

"It's reasonable that a Doctor would want to know if what he created managed to survive," Tallon agreed, drawing my attention away from Saxon's fashionless feet. "As we have all witnessed over the years, not many of Stoker's attempts have survived." His silver eyes slid over to me. "Nor have any of them managed to be as complete as her."

"The man is dying, what does it matter now?" Sinclair crossed his massive arms over his chest, his expensive suit straining at the shoulders. "It seems rather impractical to be worried about something so trivial when you are facing your mortality."

"I would not classify the future Queen of our people as trivial," Fang rumbled, a low growl traveling ominously up his throat which sounded like a semi-truck running over gravel.

I had to say, I was impressed. My growls usually sounded more like a cat with a bad case of laryngitis trying to yack up a hairball. It also didn't escape my somewhat questionable attention that Fang seemed to be sticking up for me in front of his buddies. My heart did a happy little jig in my chest. I seriously wanted to run over to him and totally give him a hug. With my vagina.

Which was the reason why I purposely kept my feet firmly rooted to where I was. Gulping, I tore my gaze away from Fang's tempting body. My blood was strumming through my veins, growing hotter until it seemed as if my skin were burning from the inside out. Sweat beaded across my forehead, and I was regretting deciding to wear a sweater. Cute or not, if I kept looking at him, by the time I got out of here, I would end up smelling like the sheep it was made from.

"My apologies, Drake," Sinclair said, though his tone hardly sounded remorseful. "I simply wished to convey that it seems what short time the Doctor has left would be of better use to us if we used it to retrieve what vital information he may possess."