I ~ Chapter 7

I ~ Chapter 7

After a tiring day of lots of research and studies, Payton was walking along the corridor with Sally. Both of them were equally exhausted. Leading a life as a medical student wasn't easy even though you did have a high level of IQ. The amount of work and effort you have to contribute drains you, especially if you're facing any final exams.

"I seriously need some deep rest. Sometimes, I regret selecting Medicine as my major, Pay." Sally sighed dramatically.

"You repeat the same set of dialogues each and every time before finals. Don't act so dramatic. Both of us know so damn well that we're two of the best students of the batch." Payton replied.

"I know. I know. I know." As soon as Sally was saying those words, her phone beeped. She took it out and checked the message.

"I gotta go Pay. Jake is waiting for me. I'll see you tomorrow." Sally said with a smiley face.

"Don't forget to email me the summarised lecture notes, Sal. Goodbye." Payton added a wave of her hand as Sally walked away from her.

Payton walked out of her university and towards the coffee shop which was two streets downtown.

She always liked walking to the coffee shop. It was a rather quiet place beside a highly crowded hospital. All students at the medical school had to intern their final year at the Brown Hospital. But, Payton had been a volunteer since freshman year.

Sometimes Sally joins her too. It wasn't to earn money or anything. Payton was rich, really rich. And she led the life of a typical high class girl. She was privileged with everything, ranging from luxurious bathrooms to elite dinner parties where she had to be escorted by a charming date. But,she was lonely, amidst of all the workers and peers who were always with her for her wealth.

The only friend she wholeheartedly trusted was Sally. Sally was always the exception. Payton never thought she'd end up being best friends with Sally. Sally was the class nerd with the pair of round moon glasses when she was at primary school. Payton didn't have a choice but to sit next to her at the first day of school. But, then they ended up being great friends and Payton transformed Sally for the better. They did their shopping together and when they were in high school, the guys longed to date them.

Sally had a long dating history contradictory to Payton. Sally dated anyone who asked her out, because she had a weak heart and thought she fell in love with all the guys she dated. But, Payton was rather choosy. She knew that most guys asked her out because they knew of how much wealth she inherits.

Her first boyfriend was John and that was when she was twelve and it was a summer camp romance. He knew nothing about her and her family and lasted only through summer. Then there was Adam who was a transfer student from Ghana. They dated for almost three years and ended up with a mutual breakup. "We fell out of love." Were the words Adam had reasoned out. Payton remembers them crystal clear. That was the first time she got to know that people could fall in love as well as out of love.

The first time she met Roger was at the Annual Inter-school Rugby Championship when she was seventeen. He had been the captain of Watford High School's team. After the game they met at the pub as the winning team had a celebratory party at the pub. Roger had asked her out the moment he spoke to her. It was the best relationship Payton ever had because he was really sweet and treated Payton really well. The reason they broke up after two years was because Roger had got a full scholarship to Loughborough University to pursue his rugby dream and Payton didn't want to be a bother in reaching his dream. She found it really difficult to cope with the breakup and Sally was the only friend she trusted during that period.