Six Years Later

PLEASE NOTE: This fanfiction is entirely based off of theories and speculation, though this is more fit to create a GhiraLink fanfiction. Almost NOTHING is canon...so your favorite characters are in my hands now. That's a bad thing.

Also, there is plenty of gore, violence, cursing, death, and mentions of childhood trauma. Within the next month I will take these warnings out of future chapters. So, this may be your only warning.

"Do you have enough water?" Link asked as he looked up at Groose. The summer sun glared down at them relentlessly, its angry glare refusing to die until nightfall.

Groose nodded as he checked his Loftwing, adjusting the strap along its neck to make sure it wouldn't choke the bird. Groose's Loftwing in particular was one of the strongest, so it held most. Of course; a bird usually reflected the one who ride it. "Yeah. Thanks for the statue, by the way," he said, referring to the statue of the elderly lady Link had carved for him a week back. Link nodded as a "you're welcome."

Zelda, Link's long-time best friend and crush and now Groose's lover, stood a few feet away, talking with Karane. The bright light of the sun seemed to make her glow with a goddess-like beauty. A light breeze rustled her hair, only making her seem more surreal. That was the girl that had helped him through countless plights as a child and even more when he was an exhausted disaster of a teenager. She was his best friend, and now she was leaving him.

Link was saddened to think that from this point forward, he would only be able to see her every few months, but it was more fitting for her. She wanted to explore the Surface as much as she could, while Link himself had seen enough of it during his journey. He was ready to stay in his own house, which he built himself with the help of others.

And even then, their friendship had been crumbling ever since he finished his quest six years ago, at the age of eighteen. He knew it had something to do with what she told him in the Temple of Hylia. She had used him, and she felt guilty about it, even if Link was sure it wasn't her that used him, but the goddess. Only a week after he finished his quest, Link got the courage to confess that he had a crush on her. But she rejected him, saying she loved him, but not in that way.

Then she began to avoid him, and when asked why she would change the subject. He'd given up on trying to revive that spark they had when they still knew nothing of their destiny.

After that, she started dating Groose. They stayed together for several years before they got married. She had a child with him named Ni, who was now two years old. She had Groose's hair, which was as red as a ruby but had Zelda's charm with a smile that could make anyone's heart melt.

So, Link had begun to build a friendship with Groose instead. But now both of them were leaving, and it was really getting to him.

Link was worried. He didn't know why, but he was worried. He had this gut feeling that something bad was going to happen. He gazed at the four people going to make an attempt to settle on the outer edges of Lanayru Desert—Karane and Stritch, who had recently gotten married, then Groose and Zelda. He felt like a cloud of death was looming over them, waiting for the right moment to consume them. Perhaps Zelda was worried too; Link could have sworn her brow was creased, though he could hardly see her face. Perhaps all of this was simply anxiety.

Link decided to make a conversation with her, to perhaps try to tell her about this odd fear he had. He walked over casually, tugging the sleeve on his white undershirt down. "Zelda," he said, his voice quiet but audible.

For a moment the woman seemed to be ignoring him as she adjusted the strap on her Loftwing. She had been charged with carrying most of the clothes they would bring, and they sat in one large bag tied onto the Loftwing's back. The blue bird cawed softly, shifting to adjust the bag on its back.