The Goddess's Secret

The demon slowly made her way down the spiraling staircase, silent as she walked. Then she stepped into a nearly-empty cave.

The cave was dimly lit and silent. The only lighting was six or seven enchanted torches that gave everything within the crumbling room a purple glow. Above these torches, on the wall to her right, were hooks that held up various weapons. Some appeared new while others were dull and dirty from years of use. From where she stood she could see Ghirahim's backup sword, stained with blood and dirt. The rapier was missing. Debris from the war that had taken place above this cavern was scattered around the area. The ceiling was cracked and sagging, leaving one to wonder if the place had much longer before it would come down on its two inhabitants and bury them in dust and rock.

The Earth Element was cradled in Ghirahim's hands, its glow having dimmed down to the verge of nonexistence. Now, as he slept on the floor across the room from her, his grip on it was loose.

Faintly, she recalled the day she had first seen him. It had been in this same room, just moments after she'd been reborn as a shape-shifting demon. She had no memories of her former life, and when she asked Demise he said that it was trivial information and refused to tell her.

She'd been curious about Ghirahim the moment she'd set eyes on him. She had no idea who he was or why he was there, only that she thought he had picked the most uncomfortable place to sleep. It seemed to her that he'd simply laid on the cold stone floor, perhaps brought into a sleepy state by the purple light, and fell asleep, although she later learned that that was not the case. Upon being questioned, Demise simply grinned and said it was a secret. However, he had told her his name. Ghirahim. The name I had before I became King, he explained from somewhere within her mind.

Having no memories of her previous life, she asked him to give her a new name. It had taken a few days, but he did approach her with a new name. Avdima, Demise had said. Got this ring to it. It's a fitting name for a demon. And so that was what everyone called her. She liked the name, and she could tell that Demise did too.

Avdima grew to love Demise. He was almost boyish when speaking of his newest creations, although unfortunately for him Ghirahim was his favorite. She did not suffer under Demise; he treated her as a human would treat another human, and nothing less. In battle she felt no pain, for Demise had made her into something beyond a human, something that could feel no pain. He always knew what to do even when she didn't.

She loved Demise as more than a leader-she loved him as a lover. The idea of spending the rest of her life with him was pleasing.

She'd been kept relatively secret; not even Hylia knew that it was her that was slaughtering hundreds of her soldiers at a time. Demise usually kept her away fro, the battlefield while Hylia was around, saying that while Hylia didn't know who she really was she had the upper hand. And he was right, like always. The goddess didn't know that that mist was also a demon, and Avdima never appeared while Hylia was around, and so she was feared. People ran from her. She'd become known among Hylia's soldiers as Death, appearing as a black mist that swept across the battlefields and killed soldier after soldier. The name wasn't very creative, but it made her feel powerful, untouchable.

Eventually the day came, which was hardly a month before Demise had been sealed, when he summoned Avdima to this very cave that she sat in now, waiting for Ghirahim to awaken. At the time the cave had been cleaned and maintained, although rather empty, nothing like the ruins it was in the present. It was only used for private meetings, hence why it was so well-hidden. She could almost see him standing before her now, hair flaming and sharp teeth poking slightly through his thin lips. Demise was long dead, but the memory of what happened that day was etched clearly in her mind like a scar that would never quite fade.