The Plan

Goddesses, when will that girl get back? Fukira wondered as her beady eyes carefully scanned the darkness of the night for any sign of the blonde-haired girl. Zelda had left, leaving her alone with Tirai, who had stayed because Zelda said that she was only going to check on Link, and the group of Minish that had gone with them to get the Elements. If she was just checking up on Link, she sure as hell was taking a long time.

Zelda had left three hours ago. Now the sun was beginning to rise, allowing them to see the clouds streaking across the sky like a rushed painting. It was cold, very cold. The Minish were huddled around Fukira to keep warm. Tirai had tried to build a fire, but the morning dew kept that from happening. They were cold and impatient.

With a horror colder than the woods, Fukira wondered if something had happened. Did Loria find them and decide to take the Element? Did she kill Link and Zelda in the process?

Thump. Thump thump. Thump. Thump thump.

The footsteps were odd, like the person walking was relying more on one foot—limping. Everyone turned their heads to find Zelda heading towards them with a large gash along her chest and blood-soaked pants. Her injuries had still not stopped bleeding, and when Tirai saw her, she let out a yelp of anguish and surprise, jumped up, and sprinted towards her faster than a cheetah.

"Zelda! What happened?" Tirai asked as she slipped an arm around her to hold her up. She frowned deeply as Zelda's legs gave out and she was forced to rely on the Sheikah to keep her on her feet. "You've bled too much. You need these wounds to be treated immediately."

"Link was attacked and I jumped in to help," Zelda said. "I'll be fine. They didn't cut deep enough to kill me."

"If these wounds keep bleeding they will," Tirai said as she set Zelda down on a tree stump. "Is Link alright?"

"I think the worst of it is a stab wound in his leg and they opened up the scar from his wound," Zelda said. "But they got the Element."

There was a moment of silence as both Tirai and Fukira stared at her, horror written on their faces. The other Minish stared in confusion, as they were unable to understand Hylian. The Earth Element was their key to victory, and now it was stolen.

Well, Fukira knew another way, but if they resorted to that the Minish still in their realm would die and the ones in Hylia's Realm would be trapped there forever. It would have been much easier, but for a price.

"Okay," Tirai finally said, recovering her normal demeanor. "We'll worry about that later. Let's focus on these wounds." She turned her head to look at Fukira and the Minish huddled around her. "Can you call me if anything happens? I need to look for herbs to at least stop the bleeding."

Fukira nodded just as the darkness surrounded Tirai, concealing her from the rest of them.

The Sheikah returned an hour later with those strange, red flowers that Impa had often treated Zelda's wounds with. The bittersweet memories of those moments returned to her as Tirai proceeded to squeeze out the natural healing potion inside the flower and rub it on Zelda's wounds, although she allowed Zelda herself to treat the gash across her chest.

When all they had to do was wait for the injury to heal, Zelda, with the help of Tirai, lead the rest of them to Link, who lay curled up under the roof of the structure, still asleep despite his injuries. Tirai was quick to jump in and treat his wounds as best she could (the wound on his side was too big and she suspected a bone was broken). Once she was done, she sat next to Zelda and laid back, closing her eyes.

Now that it was morning, Zelda could see a group of people burying those that had died in the attack the night before. As soon as she recognized Peatrice, who had no noticeable injuries but was white as new paper, she looked away.